VMware Cloud Community
jgholt
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Distributed Virtual Switch fails on add New Host

I have a vCenter 5 dual host setup with a distributed virtual switch. For reasons outside the scope of this discussion, I've added a prebuilt vCenter 6 vm. When I add the hosts to the new vCenter, the switch gets orphaned as vCenter attempts to remove it and that fails as it's in use.  I've tried to export the dVS config, but I need vCenter 5.1 and I cannot make this intermediate step.  Webclient is not enabled and I've tried 5.0, 5.1, 5.1 R2 and 6.0 powercli to no avail. Any advise on how to move a dVS or prep a system to move hosts to a new vCenter?  Thanks in advance.

Jim

I add a datacenter and a cluster on the new vCenter VM, then add the existing two hosts to the cluster.  I get "The vSphere Distributed Switch corresponding to the proxy switched xx xx ... xx on the host does not exist in vCenter server or does not contain this host. Go to Host>Config>Networking to manually remove the invalid proxy switched if the vCenter server is not able to automatically remove them".

On the vCenter Server, I get "The Proxy switch associated with {old vds name} no longer exists in vCenter."  "vCenter is unable to automatically remove the host proxy switch because it is still in use. To resolve this issue, disconnect any VMs and virtual adapters that may be connected to the switch and remove the switch."  "To view the details of the VMs and virtual adapters connected top the switch, connect directly to the host and refer to the network configuration diagram located in Config>Networking view."

If I remove the vDS I lose connectivity to the hosts.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
orhiee
Contributor
Contributor

i have a similar deployment, and had a similar problem,

one of my esx servers had a management interface attached to the VS that was stopping the deletion, after removing the kernel adapter thing was able to delete the VS

for the connection thing, i had to create a temp network group, configure esx's to have management on the temp network, delete them from vcenter, add vcenter to the temp network, re add esx's configure them with the desired network settings, remove them from v center add them with the new config (it was pain)

hope that helps

0 Kudos