VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vCenter Database retention Policy

Dear team,

i have changed the vcenter database retension policy to 1 days instead of 7 days for task and evetsn, once clicked OK, when i view events and task still i m able to see last 7 days logs. when and how this setting will take affect.

required your assitiance...

Regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

if you set the retention period to a short period of time, then you will not be able to go back to see older events and tasks. The retention period is a trade off between amount of logs and database size. 

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

when did you make the change?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

half n hour back...

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

the setting will take effect from now on, so you will need to check tomorrow etc to see any change.

MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

u mean to say from tommorrow onwards i wil be able to see 1 day events.

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

yes, I would assume so

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

will it help if i restart sql and vcenter service.....

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I don't think so, it will just take effect against any new tasks and alarms. See http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/vmware/36-virtualcenter/247-vcenterdbretention

for more info.

MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

in future  if i want to see old events and logs, then how is it possible....

0 Kudos
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

if you set the retention period to a short period of time, then you will not be able to go back to see older events and tasks. The retention period is a trade off between amount of logs and database size. 

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

u mean to say if the retention period is too short, the old data i.e task & events r also truncated/deleted from the vcenter database.......

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Dear LAN,

Once i changed the vCenter Database retention Policy, then after 2 hours i m abe to see only last 24 hours events (Means Yesterday events and Today events).

Just want to know if the retention period is too short, the old data i.e task & events r also truncated/deleted from the vcenter database.......

Many thanks forur help and support. I really appreciate the same.

Regards

Mr VMware

0 Kudos