VMware Cloud Community
the7thcolumn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter DRS in mixed enviroment?

I was wondering is it possible to have DRS choose what host to put a VM on when the VM is in a powered off state. The enviroment would be mixed.

For example:

Intel Host     2 VMs 75% Load

AMD Host     0 VMs 1% Load

Intel Host     4 VMs 50% Load

When I power on a VM does DRS not check first to see if any of the hosts have low load and push it there? Or does it only affect powered on VM's.

I obviosuly would not be able to use vMotion.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can't have a DRS  mixed cluster of Intel and AMD.  So, there would be no DRS.  HA in an enviornment like yours will probably just pick the first host in the cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can't have a DRS  mixed cluster of Intel and AMD.  So, there would be no DRS.  HA in an enviornment like yours will probably just pick the first host in the cluster.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As Troy indicated you cannot mix AMD and INtel CPU based hosts in a DRS cluister - DRS uses vmotion to move the vms and you cannot vmotion between hosts with different manufacturers - since HA restarts the VM you will be able have an HA cluiste with both AMD and Intel CPUs

DRS can be configured with three lecels of automation:

1) Manaul - when powering on a VM you are presented a list of hosts ranked in order of available resources and you select which host you want the vm to start on- while running if the VM needs to move to anothe rhost you again will be presented a ranked list and you select which host

2) Partially Automayed - DRS will automatibally select the host with most available resources to start the VM on but you will still need to manually select the host while thevm is running

2 Fully Automated - DRS makes all the choices

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful