VMware Cloud Community
MorDrakka
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter DB upgrade u2 to u3

Last week I tried to update my vCenter from update 2 to update 3. After a couple of tries (Due to password / Certificats) the installer completed succesfully. However the service did not want to start, due to the database (SQL 2005 on another vm) was still for Update 2.

We tried to run the DBupgrade tooling(with DB_Owner credentials), those did not work. Regrettily I do not know those errors at the moment.

When we tried modifying the table VPX_Version to update 3 instead of Update 2, the VMware Virtual Center service started. However we were not sure to let this run this way, so we reverted to snapshot on the VC and DB VM.

Now I am trying to find out what the database changes are that are made during migration from update 2 to update 3. In the VC install directory I find a extra file on my other VC (u3) that is called:

"upgrade_mssql_update3.sql"

The content of this file:

truncate table vpx_version;

INSERT INTO vpx_version VALUES (5, 'VirtualCenter Database 2.5u3');

ALTER TABLE VPX_EXT ADD SUBJECT_NAME_NEW NTEXT;

UPDATE VPX_EXT SET SUBJECT_NAME_NEW=SUBJECT_NAME;

ALTER TABLE VPX_EXT DROP COLUMN SUBJECT_NAME;

EXEC sp_rename 'VPX_EXT.[SUBJECT_NAME_NEW]', 'SUBJECT_NAME', 'COLUMN';

DROP PROCEDURE delete_stats_proc;

DROP PROCEDURE load_stats_proc;

DROP PROCEDURE purge_stat1_proc;

So now I am wondering, the next time I try to upgrade, if I change the value of vpx_version to VirtualCenter Database 2.5u3 myself after if the upgrade fails, and the VC service starts, will this be enough ?

Thanks in advance,

Ad van Bokhoven

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_Bradley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Does the account you are using have dbo rights to MSDB database as well as the Virtual Center database?

The upgrade process will need dbo rights to the MSDB database during the upgrade process, these rights can removed after the upgrade is completed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my blog at http://www.ridethevirt.blogspot.com

__________________________________________________________________________________________ Check out my blog at http://www.ridethevirt.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
MorDrakka
Contributor
Contributor

Mark,

Thanks I forgot to mention that, I believe we gave the account access to that, still I wil double check it the next time.

Regards,

Ad van Bokhoven

0 Kudos