VMware Cloud Community
ErikDuensing
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Collector Service Unreachable

I'm currently evalutating vSphere 4.0. I'm running ESXi 4.0 on one host and vCenter Server 4.0 on an XP SP3 box. I've installed Guided Conoslidation but I cannot get the collector service to work. On the Guided Consolidation Configuration tab under Health Status the vCenter Collector Service shows a red exclamation diamond with the word Unreachable.

I've gone through the documentation. The service is running under a domain account with domain admin priviledges. The account has been set to Log on as a service on the vCenter PC. Windows firewall is turned off. And I haven't been able to find someone with a similar problem in these forums.

Can anyone tell me what else I should check? Are there any logs I can check that aren't readily viewable through the GUI? I'm starting to wonder if the service just won't run under the non-licensed evaluation version.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jmcdonald1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Off the top of my head i believe that there is a vmwarecp.log file which should have more detailed information about GC. Other than looking at that i have seen this error caused by dns resolution several times in the past.

0 Kudos
ErikDuensing
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the response.

I don't appear to have a vmwarecp.log in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs\ or anywhere else on the PC that has Virtual Center installed.

I had not setup a DNS record for the host yet so I went ahead and did that. I can now resolve all machines (VC and host) via name however the vCenter Collector Service still shows as unreachable.

0 Kudos
SheamusNulty
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - did you find a solution - have smae problem.

0 Kudos