VMware Cloud Community
aaAliRazaaa
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Appliance without Domain

Is it possible to deploy vCenter Appliance without having a Active directory domain network and DNS? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post needs moving, so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Deploying the vCSA may work, if you enter the vCSA's IP address rather than a hostname as the FQDN in the installation wizard. This way the installation will not try to resolve the hostname.

André

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

AD is not mandate but DNS is a requirement >>https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vcenter.install.doc/GUID-24D34C53-B00E-47B7...

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
Digory34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Active Directoy is not mandatory and for DNS, this is a requirement but using IP instead of FQDN should work,  this link should be already accurate :

Is a DNS server still required when using a Static IP for VCSA? (williamlam.com)

Used IP for the FQDN, you can replace it when you will set a DNS server using the VAMI console later.

The only issue is that when you will renew your certificate, you can have some issue.

0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Here is a great post by William Lan:

https://williamlam.com/2021/10/can-you-really-deploy-the-vcenter-server-appliance-vcsa-without-dns-a...

@aaAliRazaaa wrote:

Is it possible to deploy vCenter Appliance without having a Active directory domain network and DNS? 

The simple answer is Yes. Now, you might be wondering why anyone would want to put themselves through the pain without setting up proper DNS and NTP?

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos