VMware Cloud Community
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Appliance joined to domain, but no domain available

I´ve setup vCenter Appliance 5.1 and I joined it to my AD domain, but when I try to create permissions and and link them to AD group, I can´t see my domain:

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/23909_10151254504048826_1330378601_n.jpg  

Any idea, why this is happening?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I saw this issue twice and in both cases it worked for me join the AD domain with the username in the "username@domain.xyz" format followed by a reboot of the appliance.

André

0 Kudos
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

André Pett wrote:

I saw this issue twice and in both cases it worked for me join the AD domain with the username in the "username@domain.xyz" format followed by a reboot of the appliance.

André

Thanks, I´ll try. Does it matter, will I do it in a web management page, or in a linux console?

0 Kudos
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

vmstoani has been reported as spam.

0 Kudos
RvdNieuwendijk
Leadership
Leadership

I deleted the out-of-office reply by vmstoani.

Blog: https://rvdnieuwendijk.com/ | Twitter: @rvdnieuwendijk | Author of: https://www.packtpub.com/virtualization-and-cloud/learning-powercli-second-edition
0 Kudos
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

André Pett wrote:

André

Unfortunately no, in my case if I set it like you purposed, I will get "Error: Invalid Active Directory domain."

I also tried re-join vcenter to domain few times, but end result is the same.

0 Kudos
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

Why in earth Out-of-Office replies appears to this forum? :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately this is due to the option to reply to posts by email. If users - who use their work email addresses - forget to exclude the forums from the OOO messages this can happen.

I deleted the message though.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Error: Invalid Active Directory domain

Can you please double check the DNS server settings in the appliance are correct?

André

0 Kudos
yannara
Contributor
Contributor

André Pett wrote:

Error: Invalid Active Directory domain

Can you please double check the DNS server settings in the appliance are correct?

André

They are. I also can join vcenter to domain by entering "contonso.dom" and separate credentials, but using admin@contonso.dom will fail with the invalid domain.

So, any other ideas what to do?

0 Kudos
V_Peter_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have seen this issue and found that, provided your virtual center server is connected to the doamin, that a re-boot of the virtual center server appliance has resolved this.

We are a VMware Reginal Academy: www.cccti.edu/vmware, and had this show up when using the 5.1.0/5.1.0b versions.

One other issue we have found also is that the virtual center server appliance will not maintain the FQDN without performain a re-boot.

Hope this helps.

Esse Quam Videri
0 Kudos
djlightbulb
Contributor
Contributor

As a reboot is necessary, it's a given that this has been done, in some cases MANY times....

0 Kudos
JmLeal
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,
I have the same problem, I tried sysprep, I tried re-boot and niningun result. I keep trying and if I find the public solution here.
regards

Jose María Leal Gil CEO y gestor de Mettodos www.mettodos.com
0 Kudos