VMware Cloud Community
SSpiers
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 7 error - no healthy upstream

Hi All,

I'm working on brand new ESXi 7.0.0 deployment and have run into an issue when deploying vCenter 7.

When browsing to the vCenter UI I receive a "no healthy upstream" error.

I can access vCenter Server Management without issue.

I've done some googling and have been pointed towards certificate issues however my Leaf and Root certs are showing as valid.

All of the services which are set to Automatic start are running without any errors or warnings.

Is there a documented fix for this issue?

75 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

in this article there is a solution, try it:

https://geneve.com.au/2020/04/16/hello-world/

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
SSpiers
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alessandra,  yes I've seen this article, it doesnt work unfortunately.

0 Kudos
SSpiers
Contributor
Contributor

I've re-created my STS Certificates (using the script provided here: VMware Knowledge Base ) and rebooted, still the same issue.

So I don't think it's Cert related.  I can resolve the host with the FQDN so it's not DNS.

Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

About the article.   The vHW Upgrade of the VCSA VM is not supportet.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
SSpiers
Contributor
Contributor

So should I have not upgraded the HW Compatibility?  The VM was configured as Linux 3.3 64bit by default, I had to upgrade the HW to 7.0 to be able to select Photon OS.

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Can you clear all browser history.cache and do this again after restarting VCSA ? If still problem persists then might have to check the vsphere-ui logs

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
SSpiers
Contributor
Contributor

So I reployed a new VCSA, and it worked without issue, I then upgraded the vHW to 7, and set the OS to Photon, still working without issue.

Weird!  I'm afraid I can't offer a fix/solution.

MTB75
Contributor
Contributor

We see the same issue here on all new installations.

The trick seems to be waiting for the cpu usage of the vm goes down. It needs some time to start all the services.

On one installation we had to wait for about 30 minutes.

After the cpu usage is back to normal we were able to login to the vcsa.

It seems that vcsa7 needs a lot of ressources.

mrc247
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problems with a fresh installation of VCSA 7.0.0c.

I gave the VM more CPUs and waited 30 minutes after booting, but I still get the message "no healthy upstream".

The service "vAPI-Endpoint" reports the error "Failed to connect to f592d7af-0df2-4c7f-8e29-a9f03efd7a34 \ com.vmware.vcenter.nsxd.vapi vAPI provider."

A restart doesn't help either. What should I do?

0 Kudos
MladenZG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to install vCenter last 3 weeks.  no matter what i do ,  I have same  error: no healthy upstream

I tried to deploy image via  UI, via manual OVA deployment,  no mater what method I do , same problem exists.

login into https://<vcenter_IP_ADDRESS>:5480  works. (Server Management)

I did deployment, then upgraded compatibility to esx7, changed to proton OS, instead 2 CPU / 12GB ram, I increased to 8 CPU / 24GB RAM and I got performace increase, but same error when trying to Launch vsphere client (HTML5)

I used version 7.0.0.10600 during installation / build version 16620007

tried before with  build 16386292, and had same thing.

Since I am using trial version, I am not sure do I have rights for official support?

I could  troubleshoot on my  own , but I am not sure where to seek logs?

anyone can pinpoint locations where logs are located if I access wia SSH ?

best regards

--

Mladen

0 Kudos
mrc247
Contributor
Contributor

I redeployed the vcsa and now the "no healthy upstream" error is gone. Crazy, apparently there is a bug in the installer.

0 Kudos
MladenZG
Contributor
Contributor

Personally tried  over 5 times to do reinstallation.

what build did you used ?

b,r,

Mladen

0 Kudos
mrc247
Contributor
Contributor

the latest VCSA 7.0.0c (7.0.0.10600)

0 Kudos
freemanhill
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1.log in https://VCFQDN:5480   check the service  is ok  ,   VMware vCenter Server , VMware vSphere Client

2. if VMware vSphere Client can not start , check the /var/log/vmware/vsphere-ui/logs/*runtime.log.stderr

I have same error , now working to fix it .

0 Kudos
djpetzer
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue intermittently. It occurred when the configured DNS server for vCentre was not available.

As soon as the DNS server is available, happy days.

We have an internal DNS server that is a windows domain controller. I noticed this when changes were being made to that domain controller.

freemanhill
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In My case , vcenter vm use thin mode ,and  the datastore is full, after check the  /var/log/vmware/vsphere-ui/logs/*runtime.log.stderr  in vceter os

find /usr/lib/vmware-vsphere-ui/server/conf/server.xml  is empty  , I copy server.xml from another vc7.0 and it works .

0 Kudos
Fanya249
Contributor
Contributor

Spend 5 hours digging up today installing/reinstalling. So my problem with "no healthy upstream" was DNS:

It seems critical for VCSA 7 during setup stage to have access to the DNS. DNS should contain BOTH A record & PTR record.

My test environment was lacking PTR.

Hope that helps.

wikusvanderwalt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I came across the same issue when deploying the latest release (7.0.0c).  However, the first release (7.0.0) does not give the error! 

HTH!

0 Kudos
psst_um_lakia
Contributor
Contributor

• Check whether you have enough storage space left on the datastore that vcenter is running
  • Check whether there's enough resources left on the host (CPU, Memory)

and then from the ssh shell start all the services (services-control --start --all)