VMware Cloud Community
mariss35
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 7.0 wrong build version

So i have build playground with 7.0 versions before actually moving prod to new version. Yesterday i encountered weird thing.

1. web client notification popped up , that there is new update for vCenter (thats really nice thing!)

2. since from default repos for vCenter nothing is being picked up i downloaded iso manually and patched appliance that way.

3. appliance patched without any issues and shows build version - 7.0.0.10300 build 16189094

4. web client still keep popping alert that patch is available and showing that build version is 16189207

what confuses hell out of me why the patched version 7.0.0.10300 (16189094) shows build number lesser than unpatched version 7.0.0.10100 (16189207)

p.s. initially it was installed from iso available in VMUG Adv repo (VMware-VCSA-all-7.0.0-15952498)

suggestions , how to fix that versioning missmatch ?

M.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware vCenter Server 7.0.0b Release Notes

You can still see Updates Available in the Summary tab of the vSphere Client after updating your vCenter Server system

When you log in to the vSphere Client for the first time after updating your vCenter Server system to vCenter Server 7.0.0a, you might still see Updates Available in the Summary tab.

This issue is resolved in this release.

View solution in original post

29 Replies
Raudi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Got the same popup, but had done nothing at the moment, i was only wondering about the release date:

date.jpg

When looking through management interface the date is correct...

I will install now and report...

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

While downloading i was checking my build numbers:

Installed from iso: VMware-VCSA-all-7.0.0-15952498.iso

The MGMT Interface shows the same version:

mgmt.jpg

Only on the vCenter summary shows a different version:

summary.jpg

But no place shows me a 16xx Version.

The different build numbers are documented here: VMware Knowledge Base 

So the build 16189094 is the installer and the build 16189207 is the client/MOB Version.

The versions seems be correct, but why you are getting still the popup message? I will test when i have installed the update...

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Same here!

Update installed and vCenter still reports that a update is available:

summary2.jpg

I have done a reboot after the update and restarted my browser.

Seems to be a bug....

0 Kudos
vadonka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same here.

Appliance manager shows the correct build number:

But in the webui i see this:

Build:16189207

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That you see different build numbers is absolutely normal.

As you can see in the KB i wrote above, one build number is the "Installation ISO" and is displayed in the Management UI and the other ins the "Application" displayed in the Web Client UI.

mariss35​​ wrote here 2 problems:

1. Different (wrong) build numbers -> This is by design and normal.

2. After update the UI still shows that a update is available -> Seems to be a bug.

I hope someone opens a case for that problem, i can't, we are only enterprise partner and have only a few free cases. And when i waste our free cases for the bugs i found, we are out of cases after a few weeks...

maxyardley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We too are having this issue. After updating to 7.0.0.10300 through the Appliance Management interface, the vSphere UI still shows 7.0.0 with the annoying "Updates Available" bubble. This has persisted through multiple power cycles and has to be a bug at this point. Even when trying to follow the instructions from the Patch Notes it still produced this bug.

0 Kudos
graxrs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have same problem.

Who know, how i resolve it?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Open a support case with GSS.

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't think its a bug atleast from the screenshots you attached.

vcsa bug1.jpg --> Shows "Last Updated April 17th". However vCSA 7.0.0a released on 19th May. So this could be an issue with specific vCSA deployment and not a bug.

Screenshot from my lab.

pastedImage_0.png

And 2 diff build versions is absolutely normal:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
maxyardley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In reference to your screenshot, that doesn't prove that what we're experiencing is not a bug. We have the same build numbers except I installed mine on April 17th and you installed yours on May 24th. I have attached an additional screenshot which looks exactly the same as yours.

The problem here is that it keeps prompting the update is available even though we indeed have updated to what is the newest version. The KB that contains all the build numbers for the different versions has not been updated yet to include what the client should be on, but I assume the build we are currently running is indeed the newest.

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Very strange, in one case the last updated date is in the past, and in my installation the entry is completely missing...

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you attach list of rpm's from vCSA 7.0.0a to this thread please:

rpm -qa > /var/tmp/rpm.txt

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here is my file.

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

# We have the same build numbers except I installed mine on April 17th and you installed yours on May 24th.

Right!! vCSA 7.0.0a - 16189207 was released on 19th May. Per the screenshot you attached it has the latest build number however 'Last Updated' field has April 17th. May be 'last updated' field could be a contributing factor??

0 Kudos
Raudi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here some additional screenshots and a summary...

I have installed my VCSA on the 2nd april with this ISO: VMware-VCSA-all-7.0.0-15952498.iso

Right before update the versions show like this:

summary-1.jpg

mgmt.jpg

After the update at the 20th march (i downloaded the patch ISO and used the CLI to update) it changes to:

summary2.jpg

mgmt-2.jpg

What i'm wondering is, that in the screenshots of Vijay2027​​ and maxyardley​​ are additional informations:

Last Updated

Last File-Based Backup

I have my Backup configured here and it is running well.

When i'm on the vCenter Management and searching for updates i get a error, but only one time, when selecting to search CD-ROM and URL the error don't came again:

update.jpg

And when looking to the history, this is empty:

pastedImage_0.jpg

Back in the vSphere Client, when i click on the link "Updates Available" the "Update Planner" opens:

date.jpg

Here the "Release Date" is very strange, why it shows the 29th january?

And when i select "Pre-Update Checks" i got this error message:

check.jpg

Has someone opened a case for this? Perhaps i ask a customer if he can open a case for me.

This is so bad, a VMware partner is getting licenses for a lab or training and when found problems we have only 5 support cases in a year and have no other way to report problems...

I tryed already to open a case on the "beta" page, but this case was closed with the comment, that the beta is finished...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I work for VMware. We have had the same issue in our lab, I thought it was related to the fact we used an early build or something like that, after a reinstall we still experience the same issue. I will see if I can find some more details.

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Okay, just found the bug report. No need to file an SR. Fix is being created and should be out soon

srodenburg
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Duncan,

You are referring to the "vCenter 7 keeps saying "update to version 16189094" while "already being on version 16189094" bug?

Groetjes uit Zwitserland !

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you Duncan.

I was able to repro the issue in my lab. My earlier test involved a problematic proxy server which couldn't fetch updates.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos