VMware Cloud Community
hccvm
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 7.0 Appliance Could not Connect Error

Hello,

I have a vCenter 7 appliance, standalone, that is giving the error Could not connect to one or more vCenter Server systems:https://vcenterappliancename:443/sdk . At first, the appliance was in emergency mode. I ran a filesystem command to check and repair any issues. After a reboot the appliance came up properly, but am now having this error. Any suggestions how to correct this? Thanks.

The VAPI health url vapiendpoint/health shows the following errors:

com.vmware.vapi.endpoint.failedToConnectToVApiProvider" defaultMessage="Failed to connect to 73330f61-dfb9-45e1-a79a-6dcee801fd89\com.vmware.vstats.vapi vAPI provider.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

We had some kind of issues with our VAPI service, so we tried these steps to solve the problem. but before doing these steps check /var/log/vmware/vapi/endpoint/endpoint.log for more information.

Connect to your VCSA with an SSH session and root credentials:

Type shell and press Enter

cd /etc/vmware-content-library/config/

cp ts-config.properties ts-config.properties.orig

cp ts-config.properties.rpmnew ts-config.properties.rpmnew.orig

mv ts-config.properties.rpmnew ts-config.properties

service-control --stop vmware-content-library;service-control --start vmware-content-library

service-control --stop vmware-vapi-endpoint

service-control --start vmware-vapi-endpoint

I hope this could be helpful

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hccvm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this, I tried looking into those files and there was no ts-config.properties.rpmnew. The endpoint.log file is logging the same error from the health check. The strange part is that it is almost like vCenter is not connected to the database. I wondering if there is a way to force it to connect again, but I could not find any kb articles for that. When I log into vCenter there is a dropdown that says "Select VC" with no available options.

0 Kudos
hccvm
Contributor
Contributor

I looked further into the issue, and vpxd service fails to start. I also looked at the vpostgres log and it is full of the error indicated below. Would the exact details of the vpxd service failure be logged somewhere? I looked at vpxd.log and it has nothing from the attempt to start the service.

Running service-control --start vmware-vpxd

Operation not cancellable. Please wait for it to finish...

Performing start operation on service vpxd...

Error executing start on service vpxd. Details {

"detail": [

{

"id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",

"translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'",

"args": [

"vpxd"

],

"localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'vpxd'"

}

],

"componentKey": null,

"problemId": null,

"resolution": null

}

Service-control failed. Error: {

"detail": [

{

"id": "install.ciscommon.service.failstart",

"translatable": "An error occurred while starting service '%(0)s'",

"args": [

"vpxd"

],

"localized": "An error occurred while starting service 'vpxd'"

}

],

"componentKey": null,

"problemId": null,

"resolution": null

}

vpostgres log

2020-08-07 14:44:14.974 UTC 5f2d63f2.1688 0   LOG:  checkpoint starting: time

2020-08-07 14:44:14.982 UTC 5f2d63f2.1688 0   LOG:  request to flush past end of generated WAL; request 0/13C8E2A0, currpos 0/13C07EC8

2020-08-07 14:44:14.982 UTC 5f2d63f2.1688 0   CONTEXT:  writing block 6 of relation base/16396/2619

2020-08-07 14:44:14.982 UTC 5f2d63f2.1688 0   ERROR:  xlog flush request 0/13C8E2A0 is not satisfied --- flushed only to 0/13C07EC8

2020-08-07 14:44:14.982 UTC 5f2d63f2.1688 0   CONTEXT:  writing block 6 of relation base/16396/2619

2020-08-07 14:44:14.982 UTC 5f2d63f2.1688 0   WARNING:  could not write block 6 of base/16396/2619

2020-08-07 14:44:14.982 UTC 5f2d63f2.1688 0   DETAIL:  Multiple failures --- write error might be permanent.

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"ERROR:  xlog flush request 0/13C8E2A0 is not satisfied"

This looks like corrupted data, perhaps caused by the storage problem that you have mentioned before. Restoring a backup may be the best way to go forward here, but you can run a REINDEX on whatever table equates to "base/16396/2619":

You should open an SR with VMware Technical Support.

0 Kudos
hccvm
Contributor
Contributor

I tried a full reindex but after 24 hours of running, it did not complete. It looks like it was hanging on a table. I just gave up and went to a previous backup. It was not worth trying to fix something that could cause issues down the road. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good choice

cheers

0 Kudos
neral98
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos