VMware Cloud Community
ec_bryant
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 7.0.1 DNS Flush

Hi,

So I need to change a bunch of IPs of my ESXi hosts. Put them in maintenance mode, disconnect, change IP, and then try and reconnect cant be found. I SSH to vCenter and when trying to ping the FQDN it is trying to ping the old IP. Did some searching and saw you can flush the dns cache with the systemctl restart dnsmasq.service command. But still doesnt work. Tried stopping waiting a few minute and starting still no luck. After about 30 minutes it finally resolves.

Anyone know a quicker way I can achieve this?

EDIT: After further investigation I can ping the shortname and it returns the correct IP but the FQDN does not.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert

If you want to clear the DNS cache on the vCenter appliance you can SSH into it and run this command: systemctl restart dnsmasq (but you already figured that out) But did you change the DNS records of the hosts on the DNS server. Only changing the IP on the host is not enough. You must also change the DNS record so the A record points to the new IP.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
Gabelsinga
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is very late, but maybe it can help someone else with the same problem
In addition to:
systemctl restart dnsmasq

Use:
systemctl restart systemd-resolved

icushman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, was banging my head into the wall on this one!

0 Kudos