VMware Cloud Community
VEspin
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.7 HTML5 - can't edit user passwords/disable users

I've been running into an issue in VCSA 6.7 using the HTML5 interface where I cannot change user passwords. I also discovered I cannot disable the user from that interface. I don't get any kind of error when I click on ok or when I click disable but there is also no output at all and the change is not made. When I use the FLEX interface I am able to make the changes as expected. I'm seeing the same behavior on two different linked VCSA servers - one version 6.7.0.20100 and another version 6.7.0.42100.

I have tried searching extensively for this both in the past and this morning but unfortunately almost all search results only pertain to the root user password.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to vCenter Server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

interesting, have you also tried with multiple browsers?

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
VEspin
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I should have added that. I have tried in Chrome, Firefox, IE 11, and Edge (non-Chromium) with the same result.

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor

Are these user accounts the local or the Single Sign-On accounts?

I'm not sure if this is what you are going through, but I've gone through it once and now I think I'm going through it again.

In my case I built out the VCSA 6.7 suite using the root and my created Admin account.  Later on I built a Single Sign-On (SSO) account which is different.  Most of my work has been using the SSO account.

After 60 days if you don't log into the local accounts they lock out and there's no "One Time Only" update your password.  When this happened to me the first time I had to do a password recovery.  Below are some of my notes that I have to remind me.  I would have to review them to remember what to do.  This had to be done to both the VCSA and hosts.

Search String:

vcenter server appliance management interface 6.7 locked out

https://martinsblog.dk/vcenter-server-appliance-root-password-expired-6-x/

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147144

How to reset the lost or forgotten root password in vCenter Server Appliance 6.5 & 6.7 (2147144)

Process to Reset the Root Password in VCSA:

To reset the lost forgotten root password in vCenter Server Appliance follow the steps below:

Take a snapshot or backup of the vCenter Server Appliance before proceeding. Do not skip this step.

Reboot the vCenter Server Appliance

After the VCSA Photon OS starts, press e key to enter the GNU GRUB Edit Menu.

Locate the line that begins with the word Linux.

Append these entries to the end of the line:

rw init=/bin/bash

The line should look like the following screenshot:

Press F10 to continue booting.

Run the command  mount -o remount,rw /

In the Command prompt, enter the command passwd and provide a new root password (twice for confirmation):

passwd

Unmount the filesystem by running this command:

umount /

Reboot the vCenter Server Appliance by running this command:

reboot -f

Confirm that you can access the vCenter Server Appliance using the new root password.

Remove the snapshot taken in Step 1 if applicable.

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor

Everything normally accessed from the Single Sign On works as normal.  It's when you have to make changes that are required from the Root accounts that stop working.

0 Kudos
VEspin
Contributor
Contributor

I'm logging in with my Active Directory credentials. The users I'm trying to edit are vSphere SSO users that have been set up for automated backups, monitoring, etc. The passwords are expiring after 90 days per policy but since they are not accounts used by actual people I am resetting their passwords while logged in to vCenter with my AD account that has administrative access. I am able to do so using the FLEX interface. Using the HTML5 interface gives no error messages but simply doesn't work. If I click the menu button next to the username and select disable I get a confirmation prompt and select OK but no error message or any other message is received but the account is not disabled. It seems to be a UI bug more than anything given that the functionality works fine in FLEX.

0 Kudos
VEspin
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have any guidance on how I can get someone from VMware's eyes on this? It does appear to be a defect. Unfortunately we don't have a support contract.

0 Kudos
Dthompson04
Contributor
Contributor

Go onto the VMware.com website to open a ticket and you'll see a phone number at the top right.  You can also access the Support drop down for other options.

0 Kudos
japangaijin
Contributor
Contributor

Was there ever any resolution to this I have the same problem

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Can   u   get more details on this statement "I'm seeing the same behavior on two different linked VCSA servers - one version 6.7.0.20100 and another version 6.7.0.42100.""   If they are   linked   vCenter's they should be on same versions   (mandate requirement)   . 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
Bedny22
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue, also was able to log in with FLEX interface and change the user password.

0 Kudos