VMware Cloud Community
Nani321
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 6.7 FQDN , Domain , IP subnet need to change

Hi Team,

Need to change my vcenter 6.7 vcsa existing  FQDN , Domain , IP subnet.

So can i change in the existing vcsa and it will effect any hosts that or connected or shall i go with fresh installation of vcsa with above mention changes.

If i got will fresh installation existing vcenter license can be used for New vcenter ?

I have   50 hosts and 4 Datacenters and each data center having 5 clusters and iam using standard licnese for the esxi hosts.

There is no Distributed switch, DRS implementation in this setup

Please suggest me the best possible way for this requirement.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware added the option to modify the vCSA's FQDN with version 6.7 Update 3.

For details, and a walk-through, see e.g. Changing your vCenter Server's FQDN - VMware vSphere Blog

André

0 Kudos
yosingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I have done it in past, You can change the IP and other things in vCenter but you will see a disconnect or frequent reconnect/disconnect for ESXi hosts.

you will required to change/update the vCenter IP for each hosts coz sometime vpxa doesn't reflect the changes and your hosts look for old vCenter IP it has.

I had to call vmware to resolve the issue it took couple of days.

long story short :

If you can afford your hosts disconnection from VC for sometime you can go and change the IP for current VC. (raise a case with VMware before doing so).

New vCenter, It is easiest way depends on the efforts to move the underneath hosts, for new vCenter license you'll get 60 days evaluation period  or you can get a temporary license from VMware.(Double check this with VMware as this depends on the their policy)

0 Kudos
Nani321
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But after the changes of the Vcenter ip , dns, it requires the reboot of the vcenter at that time it will recreate the new certificate's right
. Then after the reboot of VCSA it will recognize connected hosts earlier right? No need to change the ip of vcenter in Esxi vpxa.config file ?
And if we go with new vcenter installation instead of changing the ip and dns , we can reuse the old vcenter license in the new vcenter right .

0 Kudos