VMware Cloud Community
chanelwheeler
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.5 to 6.7

I'm a VMware newbie trying to wrap my head around all the different components. I have vSphere Client 6.5 and I need a feature that's in 6.7. If I upgrade vCenter to 6.7 that will upgrade the vSphere Client as well?

And any hard-won words of wisdom in doing an upgrade would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If by "vSphere Client" you're talking about the installable desktop client, that is dead and gone and not compatible with 6.7. If/when you upgrade vCenter Server from 6.5 to 6.7, you will be using the HTML-based web client (which, ironically and confusingly is also called "vSphere Client").

0 Kudos
chanelwheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am referring to the web client. It's all just so confusing. :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What exactly is confusing? The upgrade procedures are highly documented (and blogged about) and are quite straightforward, even as a novice user.

0 Kudos
chanelwheeler
Contributor
Contributor

I guess that it's mostly that I can't tell what is vCenter and what is vSphere Client. And that there is vSphere the package of tools vs vSphere Client. And I'm not a networking person so when I start getting a lot of question regarding domains and IPs, I'm not always confident as to what I should enter. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Don't concern yourself with vSphere Client. As I said, if you have the installable desktop client, it's gone as of 6.7. The vSphere product is a bundling of vCenter Server plus ESXi. You may want to see about engaging a partner to help you with upgrade planning especially if you have a lot of networking concerns.

0 Kudos