VMware Cloud Community
florindespa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter 6.0 U3/U3a installation fails with Failed to initialize VMware Certificate Authority - Error 100004

Hi all,

Doing a deployment of a new vCenter 6.0 U3a  we are getting Failed to initialize VMware Certificate Authority - Error 100004  ( popup title install.vmafd.vmca_selfcafailed ) . Not gonna paste from the logs unless needed.  . We checked DNS entries/ DB connection / everything else that we could think of ,

I think I found the issue. We are able to install on the same OS / same settings vCenter 6.0 U2a . Done several revert to snapshot and reproduced the scenario several times -  each time getting the same conclusion : vCenter 6.0U2a works , u3/u3a does not Work.

So what I saw is that openssl version was changed. My ideea is that we are missing a hotfix on the Windows VM ( which  is Windows 2008 R2 patched with security hotfixes only ) . So now I'm trying to see what might be the hotfix that we need ( taking in consideration that we can't just  put all patches Smiley Happy ) .

Have also a SR opened to VMware, so far no solution .

Any ideas, anyone ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florindespa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just realized I have not provided the solution, sorry . What else I tested was an upgrade from 6.0 u2 to u3 - which worked, but still it had issues with some services ( vCenter functional , but complaining something about Profile driven storage not being connected to vmca , something like that, of course logs mentioned something regarding to the certificate ) . My initial idea was half-right - it was not related to an hotfix, however it was related to openssl.

I finally managed to do a clean install of vCenter 6.0 U3, see below Smiley Happy

The installation was failing because of the defined entries in Windows %PATH% -  C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\bin .

When we had issues with installation failing , before pressing OK on the error popup , I was going into the vcenterInstallDir\vmcad\ and sometimes if I would run certool.exe I would get some error regarding either ssleay32 or libeay32 ( can’t remember exactly , but one of those files ) .

Both of those files are found C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\bin , so my guess is that the vCenter installer/ certool was looking in the %PATH% folders trying to find those files and it was finding them in the first %PATH% entry, the networker one, which were for an older openssl version , and would fail . vCenter 6.0 U2 was working because it came with an older version of openssl. vCenter also adds an entry into %PATH%   - x:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\openSSL , which contains the mentioned files for the correct version, but networker path was the first one .

I suggested VMware to improve the installer , so that it looks for its needed files  in its own folders , and not throughout the whole system.

So if you have this issue, just clean your %PATH% and leave the default that Windows comes with and see if that works ( hopefully knowing what exactly you are doing/ removing so you don't break something Smiley Happy ) . If that works and vcenter gets installed / updated , then add the cleaned entries at the end of the %PATH%.

Cheers !

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
florindespa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just giving an update - after having a webex with VMware, where they also confirmed the situation described by me , they will create a Problem report  for Engineering ( I think ) , so at the moment it looks like we have to wait.

If anyone is having the same issue , let me know and I will give you my SR number ; that might speed things up. Or maybe an idea on what else I could try ...

Thank you.

0 Kudos
KGHague_CCX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seeing a similar issue with our Windows vCenter 5.5 to 6.0 U3a upgrade.

C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vmafdd>vmafd-cli.exe join-vmdir --server-name ExternalPscFqdn --user-name administrator --password password --machine-name vCenterServerFqdn --domain-name dc=vsphere,dc=local

Error 100004: Problem reading password file.

Verify contents of password file.

vmafdd.log shows:

2017-04-30T17:22:04.832Z:t@8008:INFO: VmAfSrvJoinVmDir: Failed to join Vmdir. Error(100004)

2017-04-30T17:22:04.832Z:t@8008:ERROR: ERROR! [VmAfdIpcJoinVmDir] is returning  [100004]

vmafdvmdirclient.log shows:

2017-04-30T17:22:04.832Z:t@30980000:ERROR: VmDirCreateBindingHandleUtilityA, ()() failed (100004)

2017-04-30T17:22:04.832Z:t@30980000:ERROR: VmDirGeneratePassword failed (100004)

2017-04-30T17:22:04.832Z:t@30980000:ERROR: VmDirLdapSetupComputerAccount (cn=vCenterServerFqdn,ou=Computers,dc=vsphere,dc=local) failed with error (100004)

2017-04-30T17:22:04.832Z:t@30980000:ERROR: VmDirClientJoin failed. Error(100004)

Thanks for the tip regarding 6.0 U2.  I'll try that and report back.

0 Kudos
KGHague_CCX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A huge thank you for the tip to roll back to 6.0U2 to perform the upgrade.  I was able to complete our upgrade with 6.0U2.  Now I'm off to see if I can get it patched up to 6.0U3b.

0 Kudos
florindespa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just realized I have not provided the solution, sorry . What else I tested was an upgrade from 6.0 u2 to u3 - which worked, but still it had issues with some services ( vCenter functional , but complaining something about Profile driven storage not being connected to vmca , something like that, of course logs mentioned something regarding to the certificate ) . My initial idea was half-right - it was not related to an hotfix, however it was related to openssl.

I finally managed to do a clean install of vCenter 6.0 U3, see below Smiley Happy

The installation was failing because of the defined entries in Windows %PATH% -  C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\bin .

When we had issues with installation failing , before pressing OK on the error popup , I was going into the vcenterInstallDir\vmcad\ and sometimes if I would run certool.exe I would get some error regarding either ssleay32 or libeay32 ( can’t remember exactly , but one of those files ) .

Both of those files are found C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\bin , so my guess is that the vCenter installer/ certool was looking in the %PATH% folders trying to find those files and it was finding them in the first %PATH% entry, the networker one, which were for an older openssl version , and would fail . vCenter 6.0 U2 was working because it came with an older version of openssl. vCenter also adds an entry into %PATH%   - x:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\openSSL , which contains the mentioned files for the correct version, but networker path was the first one .

I suggested VMware to improve the installer , so that it looks for its needed files  in its own folders , and not throughout the whole system.

So if you have this issue, just clean your %PATH% and leave the default that Windows comes with and see if that works ( hopefully knowing what exactly you are doing/ removing so you don't break something Smiley Happy ) . If that works and vcenter gets installed / updated , then add the cleaned entries at the end of the %PATH%.

Cheers !

0 Kudos