VMware Cloud Community
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter 5 new install questions (SQL related)

Steps number 2, 3, 4 and 5 in the "Configure Microsoft SQL Server Databases" section of the "vSphere Installation and Setup - vSphere 5.0.pdf" are illustrated in the attached jpg.  I am of the opinion that you would perform either steps 2 and 5 or steps 3 and 4.  Any input on this?  Having a discussion with our SQL resource and her initial thoughts are that you would perform steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 to setup the database for vCenter 5.

Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

steps 2 -5 are just different methods on how to create the permissions. They all really end up with the same resolve.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

basically all you need to do is create dbo permissions on the MSDC (to create rollup jobs) and dbo on the VCDB.  How you do that can be illustrated in the steps below. It's can be one or the other, but no need to do steps 1- 5

mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I am curious about steps 2 and 5 because they are referred to as the "recommended" steps.  One benefit listed is that you no longer need to "elevate" permissions for install/upgrades, but other than that I don't see a big difference between those steps and 3 and 4.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

steps 2 -5 are just different methods on how to create the permissions. They all really end up with the same resolve.

0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My support tech at VMware also validated that the steps are separate.  Thank you for the feedback.

0 Kudos