VMware Cloud Community
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 5 memory usage issue

Hi All,

First our environment:

Windows 2008 R2 Sp1(this is a Virtual Server)

VMware vCenter Server 5.0.0 build 455964 and SQL Server 2008 R2

VMware environment 28 hosts and around 300 VMs.(using 4 Datacenter)

We have a problem with our vCenter that is consuming lots of memory. The memory is always on top 7/8Gb. I see the SQL is consuming lots of memory, because tomcat and vxpd is not consuming much(1Gb both tops), and SQL is always around 4/5.

We restart the server and will be back to normal, but after a couple of hours it will back to the same.

Also VC DB is around 26Gb, is this too big for size of our environment?

What can cause this amount of memory use?

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

yes its the same for both versions.

• Click Start > All Programs > VMware > VMware Tomcat > Configure Tomcat.
  • Click the Java tab.
  • Enter the the custom values in the Initial and Maximum memory pool field.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices and VMware VirtualCenter Server services. For more information, see Stopping, starting, or restarting vCenter services (1003895

wich version of sql you´re using ?

26Gb of data with 28hosts and 300VMs yes, it is big. ( read this kb http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100745... )

Message was edited by: MauroBonder

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi and Welcome,

At start of vcenter you´ve option to select JVM Memory , follow recommended:

Recommended JVM Heap Settings for vCenter Server

vCenter Server Inventory

VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices (Tomcat)

Inventory Service

Profile-Driven Storage Service

Small inventory (1-100 hosts or 1-1000 virtual machines)

1GB

2GB

512MB

Medium inventory (100-400 hosts or 1000-4000 virtual machines)

2GB

4GB

1GB

Large inventory (More than 400 hosts or 4000 virtual machines)

3GB

6GB

2GB

Now about your SQL, you´ve a parameter to configure limitation to alocate in SQL. (http://www.vmadmin.info/2012/04/vcenter-sql-max-server-memory.html)

Try check too if don´t have any limitation in this virtual machine (Resource allocation)

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mauro,

Thank You for the reply.

This is for 4.1, is the same for version 5? Also since I did not install this vCenter, can now I change this settings?

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

yes its the same for both versions.

• Click Start > All Programs > VMware > VMware Tomcat > Configure Tomcat.
  • Click the Java tab.
  • Enter the the custom values in the Initial and Maximum memory pool field.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart the VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices and VMware VirtualCenter Server services. For more information, see Stopping, starting, or restarting vCenter services (1003895

wich version of sql you´re using ?

26Gb of data with 28hosts and 300VMs yes, it is big. ( read this kb http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100745... )

0 Kudos
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

The SQL version is on my initial message(SQL 2008 R2).

First regarding tomcat, I dont see any problem on my vCenter, but I have checked and these are my settings:

Initial memory pool: 256Mb

Maximum memory Pool: 2048Mb

Thread Stack Size: 1025Kb

So I think is ok in this part.

For the SQL I have changed the settings for 2Gb maximum, I will see how it works. For now is only consuming 2Gb.

Regarding the size of the DB I think is too big yes, and need to check that out. I have seen that article, but did not implemented yet.

One final note, this was updated from v4.1 to v5, and I think they did not follow all the right tasks on the update.

Can this be the issue also?

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos
JonhL
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Today after I change the SQL memory, I have vpxd consuming 6Gb, do you thing this is related with the changes I have made yesterday?

Because this is the first time see the vpxd consuming so much memory.

Any ideas?

Thank You

JL

0 Kudos