VMware Cloud Community
Chnoili
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5 Web Client Service does not start

After the installation of the Web Client Server on the vCenter Server (with no errors) the Web Client Service won't start.

In the windows log following error is reported

The vSphere Web Client service terminated with service-specific error Incorrect function.....

Event ID 7024

EventRecord ID 2655

The Server is a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Server with vCenter 5.0

Any Ideas why the Web Client Service does not start?

Thanks

0 Kudos
19 Replies
DataCenter2
Contributor
Contributor

We are also experiencing the similar issue where the vcenter web client won't start. I manually started it then it stopped right away, no obivious event log in event viewer. Is this a bug in vcenter 5?

0 Kudos
Mackopes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here, Did anyone figure out the solution?

AK

0 Kudos
DataCenter2
Contributor
Contributor

We worked with VMsupport and here is the solution they provided. It works for us.

0 Kudos
Mackopes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Awesome! This worked perfectly!

Thanks!

Aaron

0 Kudos
nikola84
Contributor
Contributor

We experienced the same problem in our infrastructure.

The solution provided by DataCenter2 worked fine for us.

After further analysis we found the cause for the problem:

In our infrastructure the creation of 8.3-aliases is disabled by policy.

We activated 8dot3 in the registry and installed the WebClient server again (after clean uninstall). It worked fine then without the need to apply the fix.

Even after disabling 8dot3 the service continued to work as the aliases were generated during the installation process and persist after it is disabled again.

Maybe this helps some of you.

You can find the registry path to enable and disable 8dot3 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/121007 (the reg paths are the same in W2K8 R2)

0 Kudos
kgrnathan
Contributor
Contributor

Webclientfix solution worked for me, for some reason 8dot3name registry change didn't fix the problem, anyhow thanks for both the solutions

0 Kudos
JeffH322
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi everyone!

Well, I'm having the same issue and was happy to see that there's a solution for it!

However, I tried applying the suggested fix in the 'webclientfix.txt' document and it's not working for me.  Smiley Sad

The one difference between where my VMware installation is versus what is in the example is mine is on the D:\ drive as opposed to C:\.

Here's what my registry entry looked like before the change:

"d:\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere Web Client\DMServer\bin\service\bin\wrapper.exe" -s "d:\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere Web Client\DMServer\bin\service\conf\wrapper.conf" set.default.SERVER_HOME=d:\VMware\INFRAS~1\VSPHER~1\DMServer set.default.JMX_PORT=9875

And here's what it looks like after the change:

"d:\VSWC\DMServer\bin\service\bin\wrapper.exe" -s "d:\VSWC\DMServer\bin\service\conf\wrapper.conf" set.default.SERVER_HOME=d:\VSWC\DMServer set.default.JMX_PORT=9875

The service still fails to start.

Would someone please be so kind as to share the value of the registry entry that is working for them?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Mackopes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you setup your symbolic link correctly?

In your case, it would be:

1) Create an empty folder D:\VSWC

2) mklink /d D:\VSWC "D:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere Web Client"

Confirm you can browse to D:\VSWC and you see the DMServer folder

Otherwise, the other way to do it:

1) uninstall web client

2) reenable 8.3 naming with fsutil

3) Make sure all 'old' webclient binaries and folders are cleaned up before reinstalling (otherwise 8.3 names won't be generated)

4) reinstall web client

5) re-disable 8.3 naming if desired.

0 Kudos
JeffH322
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So the fix in the 'webclientfix.txt' actually does work.  I ended up having to reboot the server in order for the change to take effect.  The service started by itself and seems to be working as expected.

Thanks for the sanity check!

0 Kudos
aSmoot
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Datacenter2!   The solution worked for me and the service started.  Also note there is an alternate registration method if you don't want to install Flash on a server.  See the attachment for steps.

0 Kudos
UHCU
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to both DataCenter2 and ASmoot.  DataCenter2's solution fixed the problem with the Web Client not staying started, but even after then installing Flash we still couldn't get to the registration page, kept giving us a grey Exclamation mark.  ASmoot's solution fixed that and we're finally able to get to the Web Client now.

0 Kudos
pmfna
Contributor
Contributor

HI, I'm having the same problem but with 5.1, I've tried this fix but the problem persists, any ideas ? thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
VitorSilva
Contributor
Contributor

pmfna,

I am having the same problem as you, i got with 5.1...I made a fresh install in my lab, and worked, now I started at production, and got this problem Smiley Sad, any idea someone?

I got this message on EventVwr:

The VMware vSphere Web Client service terminated with service-specific error 1 (0x1).

VCP 4, VSP 5, VTSP 5
0 Kudos
HernanMaslowski
Contributor
Contributor

Victor and all this may help

Today i was creating a full vsphere with web client lab at home and i realized that there is a few issues with this fix in VCenter 5.1U1

First this happens to me on a fresh installation of VCenter 5.1U1 specific file: VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-1065152.iso

Installation is default vcenter simple install

I realice that folders in the new distro installation changed and for that reason paths should be changed two, and this is what i did for this release:

1. MKLink command under CMD:

mklink /d C:\VWC "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphereWebClient"

2. Registry value for hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\vspherewebclientsvc:

"C:\VWC\Server\bin\service\bin\wrapper.exe" -s "C:\VWC\Server\bin\service\conf\wrapper.conf" set.default.SERVER_HOME=C:\VWC\Server set.default.JMX_PORT=9875

Look at these value and confirm that the WRAPPER file is located and accesible on the path mentioned above

3. Restart the server

I think that all the problems are related to folder name mistmatch so if you have more issues check really carefully every path.

Hope this help

Regards

0 Kudos
VitorSilva
Contributor
Contributor

Herman,

Thanks for helping me!

I had to make a new installation since that day, noone could help me, even vmware, but I got a similar problem, and my problem was that there was a nother software using the ame port as vCenter, so I was getting problems to start it.

But, let this post to help others!

Thank you!

Best Regards.

VCP 4, VSP 5, VTSP 5
0 Kudos
Damester
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue on 5.1, I read the posts above and applied the webclientfix.txt but change accordingly as I found the paths were incorrect for 5.1.

After applying the changes the service still failed.

So I referred back to this link and read HernanMaslowski's post which explains the right paths for 5.1 and compared them with mine and they were exactly the same and yet even after many restarts, checking the paths, enabling 8.3 method and multiple re-installations it still won't start.

I'm considering removing all the components from this Windows lab environment but wondering how much configuration I will loose.

If I remove Virtual Center will I loose all my vSwitch configurations?

0 Kudos
benyamin250
Contributor
Contributor

I am had  the same problem as you

but i'm following this document and resolved my problem.

http://michael.requeny.com/2011/12/15/vcenter-orchestrator-trouble-server-service-fails-start-servic...

U need increase Ram

sorry for my english

0 Kudos
henry857
Contributor
Contributor

This did the trick. Folks who are running 5.1 or 5.5 (like in my case), make sure you have enough memory assigned to the server running your vCenter. In my case, I was running a vm with only 1 GB. It worked fine at first, until you start adding your hosts/configuration. This causes it to break a threshold and on next reboot it simply refuses to start this service. I bumped up my memory to 3GB and now all is well.

0 Kudos
William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Please share version and kernel log file.

There must be log file which will help to resolve any kind of problem.

" Find a place inside where there's joy .
0 Kudos