VMware Cloud Community
motoxrdr21
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5 Installation "could not connect to the database with specified jdbc url"

I'm trying to get vCenter 5 installed on a server 2003 box and connected to a SQL Server 2008R2 SP1 database, after installing Management Tools on the '03 machine, and setting up the DSN I've been hitting this issue I can't seem to fix, I did some searching and found a number of suggested solutions, I have no problem testing the connection in ODBC, I can connect to the server with management studio, and TCP/IP is enabled.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rovermanter
Contributor
Contributor

Hello motoxrdr!

Could you please post here full spec of your systems and installation logs?

It'd be useful to solving your issue.

0 Kudos
motoxrdr21
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is the installation log, and specs are as follows, both systems are VM's:

SQL Server is running 4 cores, and 8GB of RAM with 120GB HD with Server2008R2 SP1, and SQL Server 2008R2 SP.

vCenter box is running 2 cores, 4GB of RAM, 60GB HD with Server 2003x64 SP2, and SQL Mgmt Tools 2008R2 SP1.

Neither one is running anything outside of these two roles i.e. AD...

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
jeremyw9al
Contributor
Contributor

This error caused me much grief and a support call.

To save others the effort, there are three things you need to install or upgrade vCenter 5.

1. You must use the local Administrator account, not a domain account. I found this out from our support partner, not from any documentation I could see.

2. Read VMware KB 2006642 and act on it.

3. Read VMware KB 2007301 and act on it.

I'm shocked that the bit about using the local Administrator account and how none of my web searches turned it up. VMware, you need to lift your game on the writing of installers!

0 Kudos