VMware Cloud Community
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5.5 Appliance and AD authentication

hi guys

I just installed a new vCenter 5.5 Appliance latest version released few days ago (anyway I having the issue with both 5.5 version released so far).

the problem is I am adding the same values to the identity source as I have configured in other 4 vCenter 5.1. I make the AD default but I am not able to login using root or an AD user.

I add the Admin Group to permissions and when trying to login using a AD user I get bad user or password error, same happens with root. In vCenter 5.1 when a AD Identity Source is the default root is still able to login... so to get this back I have to set localos as default again

Ide_source.jpg

+

Sin título.jpg

2013-11-12_1548.png

any idea why?

thanks a lot

6 Replies
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

anyone guys?

thanks

0 Kudos
sree_30
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you try log in as localos/root. As per the release notes,

"In vSphere 5.5, vCenter Single Sign-On no longer supports multiple default domains. This might cause problems for users who attempt to log in to a vCenter Server system that is installed on Windows, or for users who log in to the vCenter Server Appliance.

Workaround: Include the domain prefix with the user name when you log in to a nondefault domain. For example, the user root on the local operating system can log in as localos\root. The user user1 in the domain DOMAIN1 can log in as DOMAIN1\user1.
This behavior is not considered a bug, but included in the release notes for completeness."

Regards,

Sree

grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Seems communication problem with AD server

It works till information saved in cache .

The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using my domain as default and using domain\user I get this error

The authentication server returned an unexpected error: ns0:RequestFailed: Group was not found. GroupSID= ''.. The error may be caused by a malfunctioning identity source.

but when using localos\root I can login

but now I have nob idea why this is not working with vCenter 5.5 and 5.1 is OK. (in 5.1 I don't need to use domain\user )

0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

good news all of a sudden the Active Directory (Integrated Windows authentication) worked and populated my domain automatically

now everything is working

0 Kudos
JoDo23
Contributor
Contributor

This one worked for me, primary identity source is my AD and root login didnt work. With localos\root it now works again. thx Smiley Happy

0 Kudos