VMware Cloud Community
ricketts7
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.5.0 upgrade to vCenter 5.5 Update 2

All,

My Environment:
vCenter 5.5.0 and Full SQL Server 2012 on the same box  (Windows Server 2012 R2 with latest patches).

When i want to upgrade to vCenter 5.5.0 Update 2 all components are installed successfully except the vCenter Server Components.

I upgraded the components in the following order:
1. SSO (succes)
2. vSphere Web Client (succes)

3. Inventory Service (succes)

4. vCenter Server Components (failed)

On the vCenter Server Components it complains about either Dependencies on the Windows Protected Storage service or not enough space within the log (kb 2007864).

After changing settings regarding kb 2007864 it still fails. And what about the Windows Protected Storage Service? This service does not exists.

Anyone has seen this issue before or how to fix this?

7 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you upload the error log?

make sure you have enough free space for installation to unzip the files and install it on the machine.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
ricketts7
Contributor
Contributor

On the C:\ drive is 4,3GB free space available and on D:\  is 20GB free space available.

On C:\ is vCenter installed and on D:\  are the SQL database and SQL logs.

Looks like to me both drives have enough free space. I will upload the error log later today.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would suggest you to extend C drive. When the installation happens the whole package gets unzipped though the installation requires lesser space.

Can you also provide the error log? it'll point us in the right direction.

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
ricketts7
Contributor
Contributor

Still no luck even when extending the disk with 10GB. Attached you find the screenshot with the error.
I also uploaded the error log.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do this

Remove the "ProtectedStorage" as dependcy in the registry

You will find it under :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpxd

in DependOnService you can remove the ProtectedStorage.

I suggest you to take a snapshot before you make these changes.

Let me know if it works after that.

Abhilash B

0 Kudos
ricketts7
Contributor
Contributor

There is no ProtectedStorage as dependcy in the registry.

I noticed when I change the auto growth on the vCenter database log as mentioned in KB 2007864 it doesn't hold the setting for the maximum file size (see screenshot).

It returns back to the original value 2097,152 MB.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Dino46
Contributor
Contributor

OK I fixed the issue. I logged into another vCenter and saw that it had "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service" running. I went to the vCenter I was trying to upgrade and noticed it as not running. I loaded up old iso and ran vCenter install and it installed "VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service". I put the upgrade ISO and the upgrade ran successfully.