VMware Cloud Community
shandy4473
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 5.1b - Performances and Issues

Good Day Everyone,

I am thinking of upgrading my vcenter servers which are at 5.0 to 5.1b. I plan on keeping my current two esxi server hosts at the 5.0 level. The reason for upgrading the vcenters is that I would like to take advantage of the new features in vSphere 5.1 such as SRM 5.1, VDP, vSphere replication 5.1. I have SRM 5.0 already installed.

What are the issues people currently facing using vCenter 5.1b?  Is it worth upgrading or waiting till the bugs are ironed out?

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
3 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

You can refer this release notes for resolved issues and known issues for vCenter 5.1b

https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-vcenter-server-510b-release-notes.html

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To be honest, seeing all the problems people seem to been having with the VCenter end of 5.1 has completely spooked me away from 5.1. I just completed my upgrade to 5.0 U2 and feel like I'm in a very warm fuzzy place. I don't need all the complications and humbugs. Take a look at the volume of posts and decide for youself.

Bill

0 Kudos
Sambi_annem
Contributor
Contributor

major issue I have seen with 5.0 and 5.1a are timeout errors when logging in to the vSphere Client and this has been addressed with 5.1b.

you are good to go with upgrade to 5.1b as its straight forward upgrade from 5.x versions. but I suggest you to have plenty of memory on vcenter server as all 5.x versions of vcenter servers are very thirsty for memory. update manager is not changed in 5.1b so you can still continue with same update manager bundled with 5.1. Dont panic at the screen while upgrading vcenter server product as "Installing Orchestrator" takes hell lot of time..approx 40 mins.

0 Kudos