VMware Cloud Community
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5.1 install/upgrade problem with VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage

Hi!

I'm tried to upgrade VC 5.0 up1 to VC 5.1 -

result is error

Then I tried to install  new VC 5.1  - same error.

simple installation in both cases; virtual machine under ESXi 5.0 u1; OS windows 2008 r2 Standart sp1; dbase 2008 r2 Standart sp1.

Error -

... Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage. Product Version: 5.1.0.32743. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: VMware, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

As result - vCenter can't start... Installation wizard rerun has  same result... Need help!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

I'm tried this  kb-

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2035623...

but in case of new VC 5.1 installation the the  table VPX_HOST is empty... for upgraded VC (from 5.0 to 5.1) all lengths are found with 345 value...

ANy suggestion?

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anybody has any suggestion?

0 Kudos
Boloo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Error 1603 in Windows normaly is that you have not suficient privileges to install the software

Are you installing it from an administrator account?

Infrastructure Technical Leader at Tui Destination Services
0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm use domain administrator, which included into local 'Administrators' group...

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

I found requirement for VC installation -

The NETWORK SERVICE account is required on the folder in which vCenter Server is installed and on
the HKLM registry.

This request must be set  for 'c:\...\VirtualCenter Server' folder and for 'Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc\VMware VitualCenter' key, am I correct? Only exactly for these objects the 'NETWORK SERVICE' account must be added? If it so - with what permissions it must be set?

I've tried to upgrade VC again but with same result...

After installation fail in 'vpxd' log file I can see these errors -

[04336 error 'Default'] Failed to add default permission: user  not found
[04336 error 'Default'] Cannot start authorize - system has no access rules
[04336 error 'Default'] [Auth] Failed to initialize: <class Vmacore::Authorize::AuthException(Authorize Exception)>
[04336 error 'authvpxdAuthorize'] Failed to initialize security

The 'VPX_ACCESS' table is empty

0 Kudos
Nemo7777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

I made additional tests and  found good result in case I installed new VC 5.1 on the host, which was inside isolated network, without DNS, and it was not included into domain; and had same error when tried to install new VC 5.1 on the host which was added into domain (I used domain and local administrator's accounts - in both cases same result) .

I'm using domain under windows 2003 server and all work really good for VC 5.0

So, is it possible the problem is in my domain settings???

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known issue in 5.1. Please upgrade to vSphere 5.5

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos
Alim786
Expert
Expert

This is a known error. Please see this KB for resolution and workaround :-

VMware KB: Installing Profile-Driven Storage via vCenter Server 5.1 fails with an error code 1603

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
mark_chuman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

My details match the KB exactly and the fix does not work - sts details are correct in vpxd.  I also enjoy this KB, which just instructs you to try again essentially - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=201714...

0 Kudos