VMware Cloud Community
rvdl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5.1 delay when opening vm console

Last week we updated our vCenter Server from 5.0 to 5.1. And since that moment we experience some delay while opening vm console windows.

We used to have a black screen for about 1 or maybe 2 seconds before we got to see our vm console screen.

But now we have to watch a black screen  9 to 10 seconds before we get to see our vm console.

Has anyone got any ideas what i can do to speed up this process?

One weird thing i noticed.

In the vCenter database we used to have the following tables.

VPX_HIST_STAT1

VPX_HIST_STAT2

VPX_HIST_STAT3

VPX_HIST_STAT4

But now i see these tables are not here anymore, instead i see a lot of new tables.

VPX_HIST_STAT1_1

VPX_HIST_STAT1_2

VPX_HIST_STAT1_3

etc.

and also

VPX_HIST_STAT2_1...

VPX_HIST_STAT3_1...

VPX_HIST_STAT4_1...

etc

I have no idea if this have something to do with each other, but i can't check the fragmentation of the performance history anymore.

use vCenter5
go
dbcc showcontig (VPX_HIST_STAT1)
go

Gives error: Msg 5239, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Unable to process object ID 2102298549 (object 'VPX_HIST_STAT1') because this DBCC command does not support objects of this type.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

0 Kudos
40 Replies
ashleyw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I have been battling with this specific issue for more than a year. I've just upgraded our farm to 5.5 and was experiencing exactly the same issue again.

Eventually after trying everything I've been able to identify the cause.

I had VMware Workstation (version 10) installed on my Windows client. As soon as I uninstalled VMware workstation, console access of VMs (either via the Web client or the vSphere client) is more or less instant (it was consistently around 10-15 seconds before).

VMware - please can you urgently look at this conflict. I've wasted so much time trying to get to the bottom of this!

Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos