So I have vCenter 5.1 deployed with SSO. I've successfully linked SSO to my domain but when I log in with a domain user I can't see anythink in the inventory no vcenter, hosts etc - just an empty portal. I added my domain vCenter_admins group to the SSO __Administrators__ group but while that allows members to logon it doesn't seem to give permissions to view and interact with the inventory. Any pointers? I'd imagine I've missed something relatively simple as the documentation on working with SSO is pretty poor.
I had a tough go the first time. I beilieve this is what I did:
1) logon as admin@system-domain
2) navigate to "Administration," "SSO Users and Groups," the "Groups" tab
3) Left click on vCenter_Admins
4) Add Principals (the Blue Person icon with the green plus sign)
5) Use the drop down next to "Identity Source" to highligh and select your "Domain"
6) Type the users name into the search box and search
7) Highlight the found name and press the "Add" button, then ok
Login as that user -- make sure the username field is: DOMAIN\USERNAME
That should do it?
I forgot to add. Adding the "AD Group" to the "vCenter_Admins" group didn't seem to work for me. I added the individual users to the "vCenter_Admins" group