VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5.1.0b fresh installation

I'm looking for advice as to what version of vCenter I should install. The latest 5.0.X version on the latest 5.1.X version.

Being a new environment, I really didn't give it much thought and just assumed I would go with vCenter 5.1.0b but after researching a bit more, I am a little spooked by the install complications some people are reporting for vCenter 5.1.0b.

I happen to be on a pretty tight timeline for this new installation (a couple weeks) and need to determine if it makes sense for me to install this version. Can anyone familiar with both versions offer guidance or comment. I'm new to 5.x but, have extensive experience building and supporting 3.x and 4.X environments. I've never had a complaint about the vCenter install processes. All have generally been straight forward and gone as smooth as I could have hoped for.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Hello there,

Both 5.0 and 5.1 clean installs should work fine.

5.1 simple install with an embedded DB is a pretty straight forward install and so is 5.0 for that matter. As you are running on a tight schedule, if this is an install on a virtual machine, take a snapshot of the VM and start the install. That way you can save time and revert back should you run into issues.

Also gives you the flexibility to install 5.0 should 5.1 not work.

The below kb should help as well

http://kb.vmware.com. com/kb/2021202

Regards

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2021202

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Initially this implementation is satisfy an immediate project requirement however, potentially supporting the substantially larger 4.1 environment as a whole so I am trying to build with that in mind.

I have see that KB and read through various install guides. I'm just also coming across those who have described the install as painful, unintuitive, or worse. I suppose you'll generally find more posts about complaints than successes but, wanted to try to confirm if these complaints are one-offs or the majority.

This is my current plan. If someone has used a similar architectural design and could speak to successes as well as any bugs, snags, or other difficulties I'd appreciate it. It is substantially different than previous versions and I'm just not seeing many rave reviews about how smooth the process is.

• We will be using an external Clustered SQL database.
  • This configuration will be duplicated in 2 sites and we'll probably want both sites linked but initially a low priority.
  • I considered splitting up SSO, Inventory Service, and vCenter on separate VMs, but wondered how much that adds to the install complexities and planning time. They would all reside on the same network to simplify.
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

This series might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvTtqG8k38

0 Kudos