VMware Cloud Community
rapster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 5.1.0U1b update to 5.5 fails (Error 1603)

I keep getting errors while trying to install vCenter 5.5 Single Sign-On which results in a rollback.

I tried it with Simple Install and Custom Install.

I already tried to delete the CIS Folder and install Vmware-python from the prerequisites folder and checked the FqdnIp Value in the registry.

Please see the log, i have found error 1603 in it.

DB: MS SQL 2008 R2 SP2 Std.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SJVMW
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rapster,

1.    The log indicates that the registry key of FqdnIp has no value in it, would you please confirm?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Infrastructure\SSOServer\FqdnIp

Please also attached the SSO SSL certificate to see what value is there for Subject and Subject Alt Name. 

2.    If your SSO 5.1 was installed after joined to a domain, it seems so, based on the log, for example  vc.SOFTWERK.local, then the registry should have value of

vc.SOFTWERK.local for FqdnIp key.

Please check the followings if SSO 5.1 was installed with machine joined to a domain:

1. FqdnIp registry key has correct value of FQDN ( for example vc.SOFTWERK.local )

2. make sure SSO SSL certificate has same FQDN in Subject or Subject Alt Name

3. if CIS folder under %ProgramData%\VMware exists, please remove or rename the folder CIS

4. resume the SSO upgrade

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hey rapster,

I noticed that you are trying to do a simple install and its failing at SSO installation

Here's an article from Microsoft that says what all will be reasons that would cause the issue.

You receive an "error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation" error message whe...

Are you upgrading the vCenter using a ISO on a network drive?

Please copy the MSI into your local drive and try installing it.

Not only that there are lot of other things that might cause the issue, please check the article and try all the measures.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Rapster,

vminst shows this

JRE: 09/24/13 14:12:00 VMInstMsi::MsgBoxExOKCancel::Error: 29099

vim-sso seems to be broken. Can that be re-uploaded?

Thanks

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
rapster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Abhilash,

I also tried the custom install, only the logs are from simple-install.

Unfortunately the Microsoft article does not help.

I tried it with mounted ISO in the VM CD-Drive from a local ESXi Datastore and with a local Copy of the files.

Do you have any other ideas?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi a_nut_in,

what do you mean with "Can that be re-uploaded?" ?

i already tried to re upload the VIMSetup.ISO to the ESXi Datastore.

Thank you both

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Error Upgrading vCenter Single Sign-on to 5.5

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

what do you mean with "Can that be re-uploaded?" ?

i already tried to re upload the VIMSetup.ISO to the ESXi Datastore.

I meant that the logs were corrupt for the sso

0 Kudos
rapster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i re-uploaded the logs.

I already tried all things from the other Thread "Error Upgrading vCenter Single Sign-on to 5.5". before i created this one, but it does not help.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

MSI (s) (F8:24) [15:31:42:873]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI5487.tmp, Entrypoint: VmSetupRollback

CustomAction RollbackAll returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

Rollback: Rollback von VMware Python wird durchgeführt......

MSI (s) (F8:9C) [15:31:42:886]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=VM_InstallPython_RB,Description=Rollback von VMware Python wird durchgeführt......,)

Please re-install Python from following folder \\VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-1312299\Single Sign-On\prerequisites\VMware-python.msi, then re-install SSO and check?

0 Kudos
rapster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried this more times, with and without prior deleting the C:\Program Files\VMware\CIS Folder.

I also tried to manually install the VMware-OpenSSL.msi from the prerequisites folder.

Unfortunately this does not help.

0 Kudos
Precht
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting the same issue. I've been trying to find a fix for the last two days.

I believe the installer is somehow corrupt. I've performed all the suggestions I found in these forums and no luck.

I hope VMware let's us know what's going on, I can get piece of mind that I'm not doing something wrong.

0 Kudos
dcolpitts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you see this article yet:  VMware KB: vSphere 5.5 Single Sign-On upgrade rolls back after importing Lookup Service data   Your symptoms appear to match mine, and this pretty much describes exactly what is occurring with my upgrade.

SJVMW
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Rapster,

1.    The log indicates that the registry key of FqdnIp has no value in it, would you please confirm?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Infrastructure\SSOServer\FqdnIp

Please also attached the SSO SSL certificate to see what value is there for Subject and Subject Alt Name. 

2.    If your SSO 5.1 was installed after joined to a domain, it seems so, based on the log, for example  vc.SOFTWERK.local, then the registry should have value of

vc.SOFTWERK.local for FqdnIp key.

Please check the followings if SSO 5.1 was installed with machine joined to a domain:

1. FqdnIp registry key has correct value of FQDN ( for example vc.SOFTWERK.local )

2. make sure SSO SSL certificate has same FQDN in Subject or Subject Alt Name

3. if CIS folder under %ProgramData%\VMware exists, please remove or rename the folder CIS

4. resume the SSO upgrade

Thanks.

0 Kudos
rapster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi SJVMW,

Thank you, with your help i found my mistake.

I checked the FqdnIp Value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Infrastructure\Inventory Service\FqdnIp (it was the 1st search result) not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Infrastructure\SSOServer\FqdnIp

You were right, the ...\SSOServer\FqdnIp  was without a value.

I must furthermore delete the folder %ProgramData%\Vmware\CIS and the SSO installation was successful.

Thank you also to all other!

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No results for me. I did have my vCenter's IP in the "FQDNip" regkey (looked in correct place too; not under "inventory service") and deleted the "CIS" directory, everything that the KB article says to do. Doesn't work for me. Now my SSO service is acting up. Great. Nice one.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

godbucket, did you change your IP back to FQDN in the "FqdnIp" regkey? What is the SSO certificate? If the Registry value and certificate doesn't match, i.,e, if one is ip (like your case), and another is FQDN, the SSO upgrade will fail. So the workaround in the KB is to ask you to change the value from IP to FQDN and then delete/rename the CIS folder and retry.

Please show the screenshot of the certificate in this thread, if you still face the issue after retrying.

0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I appologize for the bitterness in my previous posts, was just getting very frustrated at the installer errors and the fact that the KB fixed everyone's issue but mine, or so it seemed. I have uploaded all applicable logs to VMware Support Request 13382814710. Turns out my issue is very unique indeed and has been escalated to developer support, as a complete uninstall of my 5.1-U1 environment didn't seem to help; still received error codes. Hopefully they'll be able to figure it out soon... because I simply gotta have 5.5 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
lenzker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,

can you please try the following? Set the java_home variable to you JRE path.

VCP,VCAP-DCA,VCI -> https://twitter.com/lenzker -> http://vxpertise.net
0 Kudos
godbucket
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I gave up; I ended up installing SSO on a secondary server (which works fine) and proceeded with the rest of the upgrade. Everything works fine now, and actually runs quite well with the services spread across 2 servers. Just a shame VMware never came up with a solid fix for this.

0 Kudos
fennm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case this helps anyone else, I ran into the same issue, but for me the root cause was that the hosts (C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts) file had an entry like:

127.0.0.1 myvCenter.example.com

That caused the install to bomb out with an error 1603 and vminst.err to contain something like:

error: parameter adjacent to 'FQDN' is empty

0 Kudos