VMware Cloud Community
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter 5.0 U1 - SQL Cluster and Migration...

hi guys

There are two topics.....

Today my customer told me that they need to move vCenter's DB to another SQL Server the one that is the SQL Cluster of the company...since the SQL for VC was in a standalone SQL Server....this SQL Server  (the one that has all DBs now) is a cluster SQL......

so my questions are Does it work vCenter 5.0 U1 with SQL Cluster DB? I mean if the DB moves to Cluster02 will vCenter will continue working?

Is supported now? I know it was not.....

second  if it were supported how do I move the SQL DB from my old SQL server to the new one?

thanks a lot

BTW if it's SQL Cluster is not support would you mind referring an link here since I think is not supported but another guy that's supports vmware says it is... and I need to prove to my customer I think he is not right

thanks a lot guys

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so my questions are Does it work vCenter 5.0 U1 with SQL Cluster DB? I  mean if the DB moves to Cluster02 will vCenter will continue working?

Yes, it will work and is fully supported (assuming the SQL Server you are using is a supported DB for vCenter 5.0U1)  As for the vCenter Service recovering on it's own during an event, well, that is a sometimes.  Sometimes the vCenter service recovers on it own, sometimes it needs to be restarted manually.  This has been this way for as long as I can remember.

second  if it were supported how do I move the SQL DB from my old SQL server to the new one?

see, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so my questions are Does it work vCenter 5.0 U1 with SQL Cluster DB? I  mean if the DB moves to Cluster02 will vCenter will continue working?

Yes, it will work and is fully supported (assuming the SQL Server you are using is a supported DB for vCenter 5.0U1)  As for the vCenter Service recovering on it's own during an event, well, that is a sometimes.  Sometimes the vCenter service recovers on it own, sometimes it needs to be restarted manually.  This has been this way for as long as I can remember.

see, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

cool once I read it was not support.... and the only method supported by vmware was Vcenter HeartBeat

0 Kudos
pradorodriguez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Troy, this is great... I thought vcenter server 5.0 U1 and sql clustering was not supported, but I still have one doubt, do you know of any official document about this? I have been searching for a while without results....

Thanks...

0 Kudos
escapem2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that's a good point  pradorodriguez

I would not like to get a "Not Supported Configuration" from Vmware Support I think I read it on yellowbricks that vCenter and SQL Windows Cluster not supported.....and if you think about....if SQL is supported why even bothering using/buying vCenter Heartbeat....some people say expensive and a pain in the ass to install it

0 Kudos