VMware Cloud Community
Pcolaboy
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 4.1 update 3a - Install Failure on 2008R2

When attempting to install vCenter Server 4.1 Update 3a on a fresh virtual 2008R2 domain member server,  we get an error message: "Setup Cannot Create vCenter Server Directory Services instance.  Error 28038" at the end of the install process.  The installer then performs a rollback.  We're logged into the server with a domain account that is a member of a Global Group, which is in turn a member of a Domain Local group that is assigned to the local administrators group on the server.  (that was a mouth full!)  This DL group also has full administrative control over a parent OU that this server resides, but does not have full Domain Admin privilege.

When we attempt to install on a duplicate server template that is NOT joined to the domain, the install is sucessful.  I will attach an enumeration of the group policy being applied.

I've read the numerous KB and Yellowbrick articles relating to this error and have tried the following:

• The non-compressed install media is copied and run from the root of the same drive to where it is being installed.
  • Running the Autorun.exe within the install folder "as Administrator".
  • Given the NETWORK SERVICE account Read/Write permissions to the root of the drive where vCenter is being installed (D:\)
  • Insured that the target drive is not compressed
  • Insured that AD LDS role is not installed prior to the installation (I've also tried adding the AD LDS role prior to the installation)
  • Insured that the ODBC connections to the SQL database are tested and functioning
  • Insured that DNS resolution for the SQL database is fully functional
  • Insured that the Service Account being utilized by vCenter has admin privilege.
  • No anti-virus, IPS, HIPS, or other third party applications are installed.
  • Have tried with Windows Firewall Disabled as well as Enabled with default settings.

On each install attempt, I've used a fresh image rather than attempting a reinstall on top of the previous.

I'm using the STANDALONE install option with no changes to the default ports.

The attached log files and resultant set of policy have been sanitized with ficticious Hostnames, Domain, IP's etc.  SERVER1=vCenter Server, DATABASE1=vCenter SQL Database Server  TRAINING.COM=Domain   CENTRAL.TRAINING.COM=FOREST

Any assistance with this issue is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies