VMware Cloud Community
wildcattdw
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 4.1 - search or sort

I upgraded my vCenter 4.0 servers (two of three) to vCenter 4.1. They are both hosted on Windows Server 2003 R2, 64 bit, database on SQL server 2005, and the upgrades went smoothly. Now, however, I and several other users are unable to either sort (any view, "Virtual Machines" tab) by column or search for machines by name, etc.

Anyone seeing anything of this sort?

T

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wildcattdw
Contributor
Contributor

Additional info: after about 30 seconds, I get a pop-up error "The operation has timed out"

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

Couple of questions:

1. Is this a linked clone setup?

2. Do you see this behavior on both vCenters you upgraded?

3. Does the inventory load well for virtual machines in vCenters?

4. Mostly this is a inventory problem where one or more virtual machines are mis-behaving (due to snapshots, wrong vmx entries etc)

5. What exactly do you see in vpxd log ?

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/rameshgeddam

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
wildcattdw
Contributor
Contributor

1) Yes, it is a linked clone set up, two of three have been upgraded to 4.1, the third has not

2) I see it in both upgraded servers, but not in the third, which is still running 4.0

3) All other operations, including loading inventory, seem to work fine

4) See below added comment

5) Which log, server or client? I have so many logs on either.... : (

So, I have a couple of users that have not yet exited the client and been forced to upgrade, and the operations in question seem to work fine for them. Those that have upgraded seem to be seeing the issue. We are doing some SQL tracing to try to find additional clues, but nothing has come up yet.

T

0 Kudos
wildcattdw
Contributor
Contributor

The issue has been resolved.

It appears to have been related to running disparate linked vCenter servers. I decided to upgrade the third vCenter machine, and once it was complete, the issue went away immediately.

0 Kudos
allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having this same problem. In addition, many times searching for a VM (not using the Tomcat/web-based search in the upper-right-most corner) fails as well. Seems to be newer VMs that fail, but that could be a coincidence here. VMware support thinks it is a known bug when you still have ESX/ESXi 4.0 hosts in the environment, which we do (we haven't started upgrading the hosts yet). Just did the vCenter 4.1 upgrade (actually a fresh install and we moved our hosts/VMs into the new vCenter) a week ago in production and starting having this issue, but it doesn't exist in our test lab. But the lab is all ESXi 4.1 now, so that jives with what VMware is saying.

But, I'm not running linked vCenters at all, so I'm curious if you doing your third vCenter was truly the fix or if you happened to upgrade all of your ESX/ESXi hosts to 4.1 in short order and maybe that was the true fix? Our environment is large, so it'll be a bit before we get all the hosts upgraded.

0 Kudos