VMware Cloud Community
skyball
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 4.1 and 2008R2 : installation problem

Hi,

I've been trying to install a new vCenter (4.1) on a fresh Windows 2008R2 Standard Edition (supposed to work, according to the compatibility matrix), but I can' because of error messages about "Redistributable Visual Studio" 2005 and 2008 missing when I launch the installer.

I have enabled .NET Framework capabilities, added "Applications Server" role, installed "vcredist.exe" in both 2005 and 2008 versions, for both x86 and x64 architectures.

Even after installing all available updates and rebooting the server, it's still the same.

Any idea ?

Regards

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you shouldn't have to enable "application server" role to install vCenter. I would remove that role and try the install again. As for any missing prerequisites, including .net, the installer will install this if it's not available.

0 Kudos
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As per vCenter 4.1 best practice KB, it's require Visual C++ 2005 runtime redistributable. Do you installed the exact one?

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
skyball
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have currently installed :

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)

After installing these, errors about the 2005 version disappeared, but where replaced by the same about 2008.

So I installed :

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.21022

- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022

But then, no luck ! Still got errors. I've tried several builds, even SP1 version, but it's always the same ...

I've also tried with and without "Applications Server" role, still the same.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Windows 2008 requires NO external apps. those distributions are included with Windows 2008.

that's your problem, that's why they are being replaced.

You have go into server manager, go into the features, and add those features. Then it should work. You should not need to install ANYTHING, it's part of the DVD/ISO in Windows 2008.

0 Kudos
skyball
Contributor
Contributor

Here's exactly what I've done :

I first tried to install it on my fresh 2008R2 (I have no other 64 bits Windows), without installing anything else than the OS , and I got the error about 2005 version.

I enabled the .NET Framework capabilities, still the same. I added the "Applications Server" role, not better.

I installed the 2005 runtime, and the 2005 error disappeard, replaced by the same about 2008. Good ! So why not installing the 2008 version of the runtime too, the problem sounded alike ?

But it hasn't solved the problem this time, and I'm still glued ...

0 Kudos
skyball
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to borrow a "regular" 2008 64 bits media (french edition), and it's exactly the same : after having installed the OS (standard), enabled .NET features and applied all available upgrades, I still get these errors.

If I install the 2005 runtime, the 2005 error is fixed but for the 2008 one,nothing to do ...

I'm using the 259021 buil. Is there something wrong with it ?

0 Kudos
mushhaze
Contributor
Contributor

Did you resolve this one I am seeing the exact same issues

0 Kudos
ReDBaRoN1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having this same exact problem, but on XP64 Smiley Sad.

0 Kudos
ReDBaRoN1
Contributor
Contributor

OK, here's the problem that I had, and how I fixed it.

The message that the installer is giving is that it can't find the 2005/2008 runtime redistributable *installer*. Knowing that the vCenter installer probablly wants to install these packages for you, I figured that maybe my unzipping process didn't finished successfully or was corrupted, and therefore couldn't find the installer for these packages. I deleted the unzipped directory and unzipped the original zip file again, making sure that it finished successfully. After doing that, the install when through without a problem.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
picou
Contributor
Contributor

Are you running McAfee antivirus?  Just try and disable Access Protection ...

0 Kudos