VMware Cloud Community
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter 4.1 Performance

I'm running vCenter 4.1 in a VM.  The VM has 4 vCPUs and 16GB RAM allocated to it (and reserved).  The vCenter inventory looks like this:

CropperCapture[83].jpg

The vCenter server is pretty much 100% maxed out from both a CPU and memory perspective, but I don't really think this should be the case.  vCenter should be able to happily manage a lot more hosts and VMs than this, and I don't think the size of this VM should be struggling as it is.

Anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions/ideas?

Cheers,

Doug.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Reduce the number of vCPUs from 4 to 1 or 2 and you would see an increase in performance.

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Arun,

In this situation that's not going to help - the VM is actively using nearly 10Ghz processing power & is not experiencing high %CPU ready as it's running on a host with only 1 other VM.  I've also set CPU affinity so that the VM has access to 5 specific cores, and the other VM has affinity set to keep it away from those 5 cores.

Doug.

0 Kudos
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has anyone else got any ideas about this?  I can't understand how a 64-bit 4-way, 16GB VM can't handle running vCenter for a 150-host, 1500 VM environment when it should be able to cope with up to 1000 hosts and 10000 VMs.

Thanks,

Doug.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Are you co-locating your sql db here as well?

My vCenter runs about this same level, but more than vCenter or the mgmt web services, it is sql server that eats up all the memory.  The CPU stats also vary depending on how long your stat and event collection is retained.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos