VMware Cloud Community
Dinger761
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 4.1 Performance across multiple locations

Hi,

We have a vcenter server setup in our datacenter with around 10 hosts connected to it.  We also have the same vcenter server looking after 4 additional dev and lab hosts located in our office approximately 100 miles away from our datacenter.

We have noticed that as our environment grows (currently around 300 virtual machines) that the vcenter client is performing really quite slowly.  We have done some work on our MS SQL Server database as advised on some of the forums to help to improve the performance but it made little or no difference.  The slowness really occurs when you click on a vm and you then have to wait for the properties of the vm to appear in the right hand half of the screen in the summary tab.

I'm wondering whether the slowness we are experiencing is probably being caused by the dev and lab hosts in our office, as they will be trying to update the vCenter server with their information as well as the main datacenter machines.  Could anyone shine some light on what could be causing this and advise on possible ways to make things better?

My gut feeling is to go ahead and get a second vCenter configured in our office and then maybe consider the linked mode with the datacenter to allow the existing users to still connect up as before.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My gut feeling is to go ahead and get a second vCenter configured in our  office and then maybe consider the linked mode with the datacenter to  allow the existing users to still connect up as before.

This would be my thought as well.

However, you could make some other "tweaks" that may help

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/02/11/increasing-the-time-out-within-vcenter-for-remote-esx-hosts/

*Note:  the path for a 64bit OS is c:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My gut feeling is to go ahead and get a second vCenter configured in our  office and then maybe consider the linked mode with the datacenter to  allow the existing users to still connect up as before.

This would be my thought as well.

However, you could make some other "tweaks" that may help

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/02/11/increasing-the-time-out-within-vcenter-for-remote-esx-hosts/

*Note:  the path for a 64bit OS is c:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter

0 Kudos