VMware Cloud Community
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 4.1 Error

After Installing vCenter 4.1 on a new Windows Server 2008 R2 server and upgrading our 4.0 U2 database, I am seeing the following error when I launch the VI Client and connect to vCenter:

Call "EventHistoryCollector.SetLatestPageSize" for object "session[9CD247BC-6A5B-474C-8A13-721F34B008C3]29015781-3447-424B-8DBC-7D45B7096866" on vCenter Server "virtualcenter.moody.edu" failed.

I have a case open, but their recommendation was to reinstall vCenter because there is nothing in VMware's internal KB about that error. That seems like a sledgehammer approach. Has anyone else seen this?

The only thing I can think of that might be involved is UAC on 2008 R2 - I left it enabled.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Jeff

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

jpoling, do all vCenter 4.1 clients from all systems generate the same error? just to say it's not exclusive a specific system, and specific to vCenter itself?

Regards,

Jonathan

B.Sc., RHCT, VMware vExpert 2009

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aloha -

What happens if you run the client on the server itself??

Bill

0 Kudos
benbjamin24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same error, and havent had any luck in resolving it. The problem seems to be something with the Update Manager plugin, if I disable the plug in the error disappears and when I enable it the error comes back. This error pops up on all clients, including the client running on the vcenter server.

Ben

Ben VCP
bolsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any luck finding a solution for this?

0 Kudos
jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am still fighting this error.  I just installed 4.1 Update 1 hoping it would have some fix that resolved the issue.  Even after upgrading vCenter and Update Manager, I still get the error.  As was previously stated by someone else, it seems to be related to Update Manager.  If I don't use the VUM plug in, life is happy.

Real annoying since I like the Update Manager functionality for some things.

Anyone else still seeing this issue?

Thanks,

jeff

0 Kudos
EJMetz
Contributor
Contributor

We were having same error.

Noticed that our Update Manager VM needed it's VMtools updated.

Updated and rebooted.  That seems to have fixed the problem for us, at least for now.

jpoling
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All,

I finally determined what was causing this error.  As it turns out, the root cause was also causing our virtual center service to have problems when starting.  here is the story:

* Looking at the vpxd log for errors, I found that a SELECT statement on the VPX_EVENT_ARG table in the vCenter database was taking too long

* Investigating that table revealed that it had over 27 million rows!

* Looking into why that table was so large, I realized that database pruning was never turned on in vCenter in our environment.  So, we had literally kept track of every event and task from 2007 onward.

*  The very large table was resulting in the error I posted in this thread as well as an incredibly long time for the vCenter service to start

I worked with VMware support and ultimately enabled database pruning in vCenter as well as removed all of the data from the VPX_EVENT, VPX_EVENT_ARG, and VPX_TASK tables.  This article was incredibly helpful in that process: http://communities.vmware.com/message/623697?tstart=0

So, all is well now.  I hope this helps someone else as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Windspirit
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same Error happend in vSphere vCenter 5.

I would recommend looking at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1025914

0 Kudos