VMware Cloud Community
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 4.1/ESXi 4.1 Hardware Status "Communication error with the server"

I am running a brand new install of vCenter with two brand new installs of ESXi 4.1 connected to it. I am running the ESXi servers on Dell PowerEdge 2950s. I have tired the Dell customized version and the vanilla vmware version of ESXi. My vCenter Host is Windows 2008 R2.

In vCenter, on both ESXi servers, no matter which version of ESXi I run, I get the error "Communication error with the server" when I click on the hardware status tab. No data shows up at all in the hardware status tab.

Dell's only suggestion was to upgrade the firmware/BIOS on the servers. I did that and it did not help.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas what would cause this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nandell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the exact same issue everyone on this thread is having.  I finally called VMware support.  It is definitely a problem with Tomcat.  Apparently, during my initial install of vCenter server (on a completely vanilla/new Win2k8R2 server) tomcat didn't create a database file.  The tech eventuall un-installed vCenter server and went through the install again.  For some reason Tomcat created it's db fine the second time.  After the install it takes about 5 minutes for the db to be created.

On Windows 2k8R2 it is located here: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib\xhiveConfig\data

The db name is VcCache-default-0.XhiveDatabase.DB

My server didn't have one at all.  The reinstall created it, initially it is 0KB in size.  After 5 minutes it grows to 25,600KB.

Everything in my vCenter works fine now.  I'm on 4.1.320137

Hope this helps.

Dave

David Nandell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

have you checked your Plug-Ins  to see if the vCenter Hardware Status Plugin is enabled?  If it isn't try to enable it.  If it is right click and disable, close the vSphere4 client, open it up again and enable the plugin.

0 Kudos
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is enabled. I have already tried disabling it, closing the client, reopening and enabling it and it didnt help.

0 Kudos
Gaff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had a similar problem after an upgrade from vcenter 4.0 to 4.1. In the end I did the "ADSI trick" posted in this URL and got it working. Check out the last couple of messages on the first page
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/226681

I hope this works but it's not a guarantee

0 Kudos
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I checked that URL and it is a valid hostname. https://hostname:8443/vws. Althought if i browse to that URL i get a 404 apache error. Should that page me accessable?

HTTP Status 404 - /vws/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

type Status report

message /vws/

description The requested resource (/vws/) is not available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Tomcat/6.0.20

0 Kudos
itbegary
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Exactly the same problem.  I went into the xml files and replaced *:8443 with the IP:8443, deleted the ADSI entries, and restarted the two services, but still nothing.  This was a cleanly built server 4 days ago adding two new instances to it.  DNS was a problem as first but that was resolved, still no luck.

When I go directly to the url you posted I get the same thing, after the cert warning (which is expected).

0 Kudos
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
BBQfire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

we have the same problem here. as soon as i click on hardware status in the vcenter i get this error. i had a look at the vws.log-file and i can see entries like this:

[2011-01-12 15:22:11,268 Thread-1  INFO  com.vmware.vim.vws.VwsContextListener] Starting VWS
[2011-01-12 15:22:11,981 VwsInit  INFO  com.vmware.vim.security.authenticate.CertificateUtil] Loading local SSL certificate
[2011-01-12 15:22:12,083 VwsInit  INFO  com.vmware.vim.security.authenticate.CertificateUtil] Replaced certificate for service endpoint: CN=VIMAPI,CN=AA55B395-75E8-4C04-B6B0-DF18091EB479,OU=Instances,dc=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int
[2011-01-12 15:22:12,092 VwsInit  INFO  com.vmware.vim.security.authenticate.CertificateUtil] Replaced certificate for service endpoint: CN=VIMWEBSVC,CN=AA55B395-75E8-4C04-B6B0-DF18091EB479,OU=Instances,dc=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int
[2011-01-12 15:22:13,518 Thread-16  ERROR com.vmware.vim.datafeed.xhivestore.XhiveStoreImpl] library not found: LDAP
[2011-01-12 15:22:13,968 Thread-17  ERROR com.vmware.vim.datafeed.xhivestore.XhiveStoreImpl] library not found: AA55B395-75E8-4C04-B6B0-DF18091EB479/cim
[2011-01-12 15:22:15,041 Thread-15  INFO  com.vmware.vim.vcstub.stub.ClientStub] Connection to VC at: localhost:8089 failed (com.vmware.vim.vcstub.exception.CommunicationException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect). Retrying in 15000ms.
[2011-01-12 15:22:15,614 VwsInit  INFO  com.vmware.vim.vcstub.stub.ClientStub] Connection to VC at: localhost:8089 failed (com.vmware.vim.vcstub.exception.CommunicationException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect). Retrying in 15000ms.

I have checked our DNS-config and it should be OK. If i connect via telnet localhost 8089 i see that it is connecting and there is something listening.

vcenter server is on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit with all updates and member of a domain.

0 Kudos
itbegary
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm upping the ante here.  I have some error logs from tomcat that I noticed when I looked deeper into the original error logs.

[2011-01-14 13:35:44,980 Thread-30  ERROR com.vmware.vim.health.impl.ComponentSpec] Unable to retrieve health for component 3A7BC138-353F-4A2A-B81B-285C4154FC53.visvc
[2011-01-14 13:35:44,980 Thread-30  ERROR com.vmware.vim.health.impl.ComponentSpec] Unable to retrieve health for 3A7BC138-353F-4A2A-B81B-285C4154FC53.visvc from https://10.40.6.4:8443/vws/Query/Health
[2011-01-14 13:35:44,980 Thread-30  ERROR com.vmware.vim.health.impl.ComponentSpec] Unable to retrieve health for 3A7BC138-353F-4A2A-B81B-285C4154FC53.visvc from any of its health URLs

When I go to  https://10.40.6.4:8443/vws/Query/Health I get a java error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet QueryServlet threw exception
     org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
     org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
     org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)
     org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
     org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
     java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

root cause

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'nameresolver' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/queryservice.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'queryservice' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'queryservice' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/queryservice.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:275)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveValueIfNecessary(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:104)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.resolveConstructorArguments(ConstructorResolver.java:458)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:160)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireConstructor(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:923)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:833)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:440)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
     java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:220)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
     org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getBean(AbstractApplicationContext.java:881)
     com.vmware.vim.query.servlets.QueryServlet.init(QueryServlet.java:193)
     org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)

root cause

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'queryservice' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/queryservice.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1336)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:471)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:220)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:269)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveValueIfNecessary(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:104)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.resolveConstructorArguments(ConstructorResolver.java:458)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:160)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireConstructor(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:923)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:833)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:440)
     org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getBean(AbstractApplicationContext.java:881)

root cause

java.lang.NullPointerException
     com.vmware.vim.query.impl.XhiveServiceImpl.init(XhiveServiceImpl.java:111)
     sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor65.invoke(Unknown Source)
     sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
     java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeCustomInitMethod(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1412)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1373)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1333)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:471)
     org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:269)

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/6.0.20 logs.

Apache Tomcat/6.0.20

The tomcat log:

Jan 13, 2011 11:59:56 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'nameresolver' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/queryservice.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'queryservice' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'queryservice' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/queryservice.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:275)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveValueIfNecessary(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:104)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.resolveConstructorArguments(ConstructorResolver.java:458)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:160)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireConstructor(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:923)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:833)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:440)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:220)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getBean(AbstractApplicationContext.java:881)
at com.vmware.vim.query.servlets.QueryServlet.init(QueryServlet.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1173)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:809)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:129)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'queryservice' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/queryservice.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1336)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:471)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:380)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:264)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:220)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:261)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:185)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:269)
... 28 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.vmware.vim.query.impl.XhiveServiceImpl.init(XhiveServiceImpl.java:111)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor65.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeCustomInitMethod(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1412)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1373)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1333)
... 38 more
Jan 13, 2011 11:59:56 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet QueryServlet
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeCustomInitMethod(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1412)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1373)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1333)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:471)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:269)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveValueIfNecessary(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:104)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.resolveConstructorArguments(ConstructorResolver.java:458)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.ConstructorResolver.autowireConstructor(ConstructorResolver.java:160)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.autowireConstructor(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:923)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:833)
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:440)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.getBean(AbstractApplicationContext.java:881)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1173)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:129)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
Jan 13, 2011 11:59:56 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:275)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'queryservice' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/queryservice.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1336)
... 28 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
... 38 more
Jan 13, 2011 11:59:56 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet QueryServlet

0 Kudos
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I went to vws/Query/Health and got the same error you are getting

0 Kudos
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone had any luck finding a fix?

0 Kudos
BBQfire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so anyone found anything? I had time to look at it again. as far as i've seen my vws.log doesn't record any errors anymore BUT health status doesn't work yet. i found something new in my vpxd log.

if i click on update in the health status tab there appear following lines after a while:

[2011-01-26 09:25:52.592 01932 error 'App'] [VpxdHealthServiceMonitor::LoginToHealthService] Unable to login into HealthService. Error is vmodl.fault.HostCommunication
[2011-01-26 09:25:52.592 03540 warning 'App'] Closing Response processing in unexpected state: 3

I didn't find anything for "Unable to login into HealthService" not even on google

0 Kudos
nandell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the exact same issue everyone on this thread is having.  I finally called VMware support.  It is definitely a problem with Tomcat.  Apparently, during my initial install of vCenter server (on a completely vanilla/new Win2k8R2 server) tomcat didn't create a database file.  The tech eventuall un-installed vCenter server and went through the install again.  For some reason Tomcat created it's db fine the second time.  After the install it takes about 5 minutes for the db to be created.

On Windows 2k8R2 it is located here: C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\lib\xhiveConfig\data

The db name is VcCache-default-0.XhiveDatabase.DB

My server didn't have one at all.  The reinstall created it, initially it is 0KB in size.  After 5 minutes it grows to 25,600KB.

Everything in my vCenter works fine now.  I'm on 4.1.320137

Hope this helps.

Dave

David Nandell
0 Kudos
nandell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I forgot to mention we turned off UAC completely on the server.

David Nandell
0 Kudos
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nandell, Thanks for the post. I will try this later today.

0 Kudos
itbegary
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disabled UAC, uninstalled, and finally re-installed and it seems to be collecting the stats. Other changes I made include bumping the VM ram from 1GB to 2GB and increasing the Tomcat memory to 1.5gb.  I only run 20 VM's though so memory limit shouldn't have been much of an issue.

0 Kudos
m_j_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My origianl install had the file VcCache-default-0.XhiveDatabase.DB but the size was still 0KB. I did the reinstall and the file populated and now I can see the hardware status. Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Kyle_MacDonald
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've completed the re-install but still no luck...Any other ideas?  I'm wondering if there is a script that VMware could write that would correct this issue without having to remove and re-install.

0 Kudos
BBQfire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

reinstall worked for me, but i still had to do some ADSI-editing. I found this post: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1378552#1378552 - after adding dc=virtualcenter,dc=vmware,dc=int "Health Status" worked.

immediatly after reinstall i also upgraded to vcenter 4.1 update 1 and it still worked. i'm happy now with my installation.

0 Kudos
Phonator
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same problem. I raised the memory in "Tomcat Configuration" on "Java" tab to 512 MB in "Initial"- and "Maximum memory pool". Restarted the service and after that the hardware tab displayed properly.

0 Kudos