VMware Cloud Community
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vCenter 4.1 Annoyances

Don't know about anyone else, but I keep finding annoyances with vCenter 4.1. I have a couple at the moment, I wonder if anyone else has had the same & knows what to do about them:

1) Search - when I try and search for a partial name of a VM, I get no search results despite me knowing there are a number of VMs that would match the query. If I do the same query with 'Inventory' selected, I still get no VMs in the results but I do get a list of datastores that match the query! Anyone got any ideas on why the VMs aren't being picked up in the search?

2) On another vCenter instance, when I try to run a search, I eventually get an error 'Login to the query service failed'. Anyone else seen that & know how to resolve?

3) Inventory - sometimes, when I try and sort a list of VMs in the inventory by name, it doesn't work - it just seems to be a random list. If I close the vSphere Client and log back in, it works. Why?

4) Update Manager Tasks - Quite frequently, the Check New Notifications or Download Patch Definitions tasks just sit with a status of 'queued'. I have to restart Update Manager services to clear this out & get them working again. Any ideas?

This 4.1 install is only a few weeks old, and hasn't been heavily used so far. There's been an upgrade path, starting with 4.0 U1 moving to U2 then 4.1. No problems were encountered along the way though.

If no-one has any ideas, I'll be raising some calls with Support!!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Doug.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
sunshine007
Contributor
Contributor

i meet the similar issue in our environment but has some difference.

vSphere Client works normally and we do no action for it, but one day we find that it cannot search New Installed VM. can anyone help on this?

0 Kudos
allencrawford
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assuming I understand you correctly, I might be able to help.  But first, please answer the following questions for me:

What version of vSphere are you using?

Second, open Task Manager and report back how much memory the tomcat.exe/tomcat6.exe and java.exe process(es) are consuming (break it down by each process).

Third, on the Start Menu of the vCenter Server, drill down to VMware > VMware Tomcat > Configure Tomcat and then go to the "Java" tab and tell me what the value is for "Maximum memory pool".

0 Kudos
sunshine007
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for allencrawford's kind advise. but it seems that this problem result from that the VMware management webservices didn't work normally. i tried to restart the service and now the new created VM can be found by searching.

0 Kudos