VMware Cloud Community
francesco77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 4.0 to 4.1: Oracle DB upgrade fails

Both Oracle and VC on same physical server.

Win2003 64bit SP2, Oracle 11g (11.1.0.6) 32 bit, 64bit DSN with ODBC Instant Client 11.2 driver

When the upgrade wizard launches VCDatabaseUpgrade.exe I get an error and the upgrade fails.

In the VCDatabaseUpgrade.log I get the following lines:

Info: Beginning upgrade process....

Info: VCENTER4_X64 has been detected as an Oracle server.

Error in InitVersion(): Got exception: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

Error in GetDataseSpace(): Got exception: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

Initialize failed, exiting...

I have enabled tracing in the OC4J driver (attached SQL.LOG file).

It seems that VCDatabaseUpgrade.exe only executes these 2 queries:

"select ver_id, version_value from vpx_version"

"select null, a.data_sizeb.temp_sizec.redo_sized.controlfile_size from ( select sum(bytes)/1024/1024 data_size from dba_data_files ) a,( select nvl(sum(bytes),0)/1024/1024 temp_size from dba_temp_files ) b,( select sum(bytes)/1024/1024 redo_size from sys.v_$log ) c,( select sum(BLOCK_SIZE*FILE_SIZE_BLKS)/1024/1024 controlfile_size from v$controlfile)"+

Both queries, executed manually with vcenter user, return the expected results.

I will open a service request, but I have an HP support contract and I'll have to wait ping-pong between HP and VMware... Smiley Sad

Any hint very appreciated, I really look forward to play with the new features of 4.1, but if I won't be able to upgrade before the end of summer holidays I'll have to restart to work and wait for Christmas holidays Smiley Wink

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
djgel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try 11.1.6 ODBC client ... I receved same erro and change a ODBC Client resolve ....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
djgel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Try 11.1.6 ODBC client ... I receved same erro and change a ODBC Client resolve ....

0 Kudos
esxfan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi franceso77,

i have Oracle 11.2 and received the same error. Did you have a resolution for the problem?

Thx

0 Kudos
francesco77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sono in ferie. Rientrerò il 23 agosto.

Per urgenze contattare release_engineering@seat.it

Francesco Cambiaso

Internet Factory Seat Pagine Gialle

Systems & Release Management Group

Via Grosio 10/4

20151 - Milano

Questo messaggio di posta elettronica contiene informazioni di carattere confidenziale rivolte esclusivamente al destinatario sopra indicato.

E' vietato l'uso, la diffusione, distribuzione o riproduzione da parte di ogni altra persona. Nel caso aveste ricevuto questo messaggio di posta elettronica per errore, siete pregati di segnalarlo immediatamente al mittente e distruggere quanto ricevuto (compresi i file allegati) senza farne copia.

Qualsivoglia utilizzo non autorizzato del contenuto di questo messaggio costituisce violazione dell'obbligo di non prendere cognizione della corrispondenza tra altri soggetti, salvo più grave illecito, ed espone il responsabile alle relative conseguenze.

Confidentially notice. This e-mail transmission may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. Please do not read it if you are not the intended recipient(S).

Any use, distribution, reproduction or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving it in any manner.

Seat Pagine Gialle S.p.A. Cap. Soc. Euro 450.265.793,58 – Sede legale Milano –Via Grosio 10/4 CAP 20151; Sede secondaria Torino – Corso Mortara 22 – CAP 10149 ;Registro Imprese di Milano, Codice Fiscale e Partita IVA n. 03970540963

0 Kudos
djgel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Get the client version 10.2.0.4 for Windows 2008 x86_64. This driver work wonderfull whit vCenter 4.1 and 11g Oracle database !!

0 Kudos
esxfan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your fast response.

I tried to install Oracle 10.2.04 and received the following Error:

Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 or 6.0 . Actual 6.1

Failed <<<<

Exiting Oracle Universal Installer, log for this session can be found at C:\TEMP

\OraInstall2010-08-16_05-36-34PM\installActions2010-08-16_05-36-34PM.log

Please press Enter to exit...

Did you changed anything? Oracle Client 10.2.0.4 is supported with Windows Server 2008 R2?

0 Kudos
djgel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This Windows is x86_64 ?

For my windows 2008 R2 x86_64 with DB Oracle 11.2, i use :

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/10204-winx64-vista-win2k8-082253.html

Download a 10204_vista_w2k8_x64_production_db.zip

[]s

0 Kudos
esxfan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mysterious!

Downloaded 10204_vista_w2k8_x64_production_db.zip and tried again an Windows Server 2008 R2:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs\installActions2010-08-16_06-47-18PM.log:

=================================================================

Using paramFile: C:\TEMP\10204_vista_w2k8_x64_production_db\database\install\oraparam.ini

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 or 6.0. Actual 6.1

Failed <<<<

Exiting Oracle Universal Installer, log for this session can be found at C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory\logs\installActions2010-08-16_06-47-18PM.log

Please press Enter to exit...

0 Kudos
djgel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In Install Directory, edit a oraparam.ini and change :

#You can customise error message shown for failure, provide value for CERTIFIED_VERSION_FAILURE_MESSAGE

Windows=5.0,5.1,5.2,6.0

to

#You can customise error message shown for failure, provide value for CERTIFIED_VERSION_FAILURE_MESSAGE

Windows=5.0,5.1,5.2,6.0,6.1

try again! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
esxfan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot djgel, i will try tomorrow.

Did you used Oracle 10.2.0.4 (64-bit) on your vCenter Server with Windows Server 2008 R2 (without support for Oracle 10.2.0.4) without any problems?

Did you also installed VMware Update Manager 4.1. VUM uses also the Oracle Client 10.2.0.4 (64-bit) with an 32-bit ODBC-Connection? Or did you have installed an additional Oracle-Client? 32-bit or 64-bit and which version?

0 Kudos
djgel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, i use!!

about VUM , i use a Oracle 11.1 client 32bit Smiley Happy In 4,0 o I Use this client with a Oracle 10.2.0.4 whithout problems ... in 4.1 a 11.2 client in DB 10.2.0.4 or db 11.2 not work. Now i use two VCenters, firt : client 10.2.0.4 in 11.2 DB e second: client 10.2.0.4 in 10.2.0.4 DB both without problems Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Benoit13
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i had an issue with windows 2008R2 and the odbc drivers Oracle Database 11g Release 2 , i used both drivers (dsn *86 and * 64) for vcenter and vum .

And the installations failed . the only workaround was to use Oracle Database 11g Release 1 with windows 2008R2 ,

During the setup of oracle drivers i recevied a warning popup (because R1 was designed for windos 2008) , but the drivers works perfectly.

With this ODBC release the vcenter 4.1 (dsn 64bits) and the vum (dsn 32bits) installation complete succesfully

also here a really good post about a similar issue

http://deinoscloud.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/installing-oracle-database-client-10g-release-2-10-2-on-...

good luck !

Benoit
0 Kudos