VMware Cloud Community
vmdavinci
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter 2.5u4 Performance Overview - Chart could not be loaded

Yesterdag I've installed/upgrade our test vCenter 2.5u3 => vCenter 2.5u4. After installation the Performance Overview tab is visible but there is no new report plugin visible to download.

In the Performance Overview is only the following message " Chart could not be loaded"

I'm also not able to find the report plugin in the VI-cliënt.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
49 Replies
irazor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you ver much for your help.... now we've got the extra performance tab, too !!

BUT the page cannot be displayed. ... it loads for a while with blank screen and then returns an http error:

ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

-

While trying to retrieve the URL:

The following error was encountered:

• Connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Failed

The system returned:

+(110) Connection timed out+

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is root.

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From the log file in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\VMware\vpx\vclient-0.log I can see your suggestion is along the right lines. My client is trying to access the webAccess tomcat port 8086 but on 192.168.2.254 which is not the public interface of the VC server. This is perhaps confused by the fact that 192.168.2.0/24 on my client is a VM network for a local VMware server install and 192.168.2.0/24 on the VC server is a physical network pointing inwards to the ESX hosts. I'll look into it further and post again if I resolve this.

2009-02-26 12:41:48.979 Started download of xml configuration file at:

2009-02-26 12:41:49.198 WaitForUpdates Version = 5

2009-02-26 12:41:49.198 Start Invoke 33 - PropertyCollector:propertyCollector.WaitForUpdates ... Connections: 4

2009-02-26 12:41:49.400 Finish Invoke 33 - Serial:0.007, Server:000.210 - PropertyCollector:propertyCollector.WaitForUpdates

2009-02-26 12:41:49.978 System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.2.254:8086

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)

at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

at VpxClient.PluginManager.PluginManagerImpl.DownloadFromWeb(String url)

2009-02-26 12:41:49.993 System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at VpxClient.PluginManager.PluginManagerImpl.ProcessScriptPluginsAtStartup()

0 Kudos
dlane
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also had the same problem earpda, kennys0 and irazor. After I saw post I investigated the log file and found "[http://x.x.x.x:8086/statsreport/extension/statsReportExtension.xml]"

in my vlclientX.log. I discovered it access' this plugin on startup and

does not try to install it again until the application is restarted. So

clicking on Download and Install does not try to access the port again

even if the port is unblocked between restarts of the client

application between the client and vCenter server. My client is on a

different subnet than the vCenter Server and a firewall is between

them. After the port was opened the Performance Overview Tab showed up,

I didn't have to click the check box to enable it.

Has anyone figured out if it is possible to access this report from the Cluster or Data Center level?

Thanks Dan

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I install run vpx\perfCharts\install.bat it stores the IP I don't want in two XML files

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\tomcat\webapps\statsreport\extension\statsReportExtension.xml

and

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\tomcat\webapps\statsreport\WEB-INF\web.xml

Unfortunately changing that IP manually and restarting the webAccess service didn't resolve the issue. I'll try some other things.

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've resolved my issue but need to break it again to find out exactly what fixed it Smiley Sad

I think it may have been an accidental oversight of HP's Network Configuration Utility leaving the "Register this connection's address in DNS" checked whenever it (re)creates an 802.1Q interface but I'll retrace my steps and attempt to verify this.

For info the URL passed to the client to retrieve the file statsReportExtension.xml is in the VPX_EXT_SERVER table of the VIM_VCDB database.

0 Kudos
SBernhard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i made everything like in kb 1008330. I've not forgotten to stop the Webservice. the installation worked fine. I've the Performance Overview tab. But the only thing i can see is "Graph could not be loadet ". So i tryed this out kb 1008296. Also everything was fine on installation. But in the end the same issue - Performance Overview tab is viable with the error "Graph could not be loadet".

So how can i solve this Problem ?

0 Kudos
SBernhard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue is solved. Imade a restart of the Webservice and the VC Service and now everything works fine.

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was close but not quite correct. DNS isn't involved, the IP address stored is that associated with the interface which is currently first in the binding order as seen in Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings.

The plugin installer stores the IP returned for that interface in the VPX_EXT_SERVER table of the VIM_VCDB database and in two XML files

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\tomcat\webapps\statsreport\extension\statsReportExtension.xml

and

C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\tomcat\webapps\statsreport\WEB-INF\web.xml

While my issue can be resolved by modifying the IP stored in these three locations it was a safer option to reconfigure the binding order, uninstall and reinstall the plugin. Incidentally the binding order was upset by the HP Network Configuration Utility which changes the order when you create/modify 802.1Q or teamed interfaces.

0 Kudos
Nilkanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi irazor,

I think here the virtual center cant be in a domain, I think it means operating system's domain. This workaround seems to suggest to remove your OS from the domain and add it back again. This particular case I suspect is needed when your SQL server uses your OS login credentials and not the SQL server credentials. SQL server can be configured to use different types of credentials.

0 Kudos
dswitzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I keep getting this error when trying to install the Performance plugin on the virtual center server.

I know I am using the right username and password.

Anyone have any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have read all the blogs and documention on this plugin.

What am I missing. I copied the contents of the perfcharts directory from the update 4 CD to the C:\temp folder on the VCS.

AxisFault

faultCode: ServerFaultCode

faultSubcode:

faultString: Login failed due to a bad username or password.

faultActor:

faultNode:

faultDetail:

InvalidLoginFault:null

Thanks for any and all help.

0 Kudos
jfmartin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

My problem is quite similar... I mean, I did the upgrade from 2.5u3 to 2.5u4 with the precaution of having shut down the Web service before the upgrade but started it after the VC upgrade in order to install the Performance Overview panel. I can get the Real-time charts but not the other ones... Any ideas ?

Thanks.

JF Martin

0 Kudos
Nilkanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi jfmartin,

Database may matter in your case.These workarounds seems to be in addition to stopping web service.

0 Kudos
sumitgad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have tried all the workaround but still getting the error:

STATs Report service internal error

Message: STATs Report application initialization is not completed successfully

When i checked the Tomcat logs "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\tomcat\logs\stats.log" , it shows me the following errors:

06 Mar 09, 11:20:15] com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.VcDataSourceInitializer : Unable to open VC DataSource. Details: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection)

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection)

at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1225)

at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.java:880)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.VcDataSourceInitializer.openVcDataSource(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.VcDataSourceInitializer.access$000(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.VcDataSourceInitializer$1.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:112)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:146)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:255)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:387)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.(T4CConnection.java:165)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:35)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:801)

at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)

at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:294)

at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1247)

at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1221)

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Nilkanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which database are you using? (vendor, version)

0 Kudos
sumitgad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using Oracle for my VC database.

0 Kudos
Nilkanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I faced exactly the same problem and could resolve using Performance Overview Plug-In Requirements When VirtualCenter Is Using the Oracle Database (1008328).

I am sure you must not be missing any step while doing this.

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I just installed update4 and I'm getting the same error. Before I started the upgrade I read this thread, the KB articles and I stoppedc the webaccess service, yet it's still not working. From what I can tell, the real-time works for everything but the historical graphs only work from some of my VM's.

One thing that I noticed is that the install instructions specifically state to run the install.bat file from the /bin/prefcharts folder if you are using the .zip file, however, my .zip file does not have a bin/prefcharts folder so I have been using the install.bat file in the vpx/prefcharts folder. Could this be the cause of my issues?

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos
jfmartin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think I made the same... executed the .bat file from /vpx/...

It seems VMware rushed this functionality to the market... It could have made that part of the 2.5u4 upgrade...

JF

0 Kudos
Nilkanth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont think it should matter whether you run install.bat from .zip or .iso. As far as it doesnt give any error, you are done.

I am not sure about why it works for some VMs, one guess could be, check your VM hardware version. To verify this, you should create new VM and see if it works for new one. I think if it works, that confirms that the problem is with particular VM

Though, you may try this one if something got messed up while upgrade.

If you did not stop the VMware Web Access service before upgrading to VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 4, see [Performance

Overview Charts Might Fail to Display if VirtualCenter Is Upgraded

Without Stopping the VMware Infrastructure Web Access Service (1008330)|http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008330].

0 Kudos
ranga1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Jason

Did you manage to fix the problem of some vms showing the historical graphs and some not. I'm having the same problem at one site but i installed this on a diffrent site it all went perfectly.

The one that worked was upto date on all the patches and updates so i updated the site which didnt work properly but still got the same problem.

Thanks

Ranga.

0 Kudos