VMware Cloud Community
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 2.5 U5 to 4.1 - Skipping DB backup...

I am having the hardest time upgrading...

I have my current vCenter 2.5 U5 on Server 2003 32bit and it had SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition.

I downgraded to MSDE 2000.

I then upgraded to SQL 2005 Express.

When I run the data migration tool, I notice in the log:

Backing up vCenter Server DB...

Checking vCenter Server DB configuration...

Only SQL Server Express is supported for DB backup

Skipping DB backup...

So as a result I have 0 configuration when I go to run install.bat on my destination server, which is Server 2008 R2 64bit and let the installer install SQL 2005 Express.

This might be the reason for the DB not being backed up:

Starting vSphere configuration backup script...

Checking prerequisites...

Checking vCenter Server version...

vCenter Server installation version 2.5.0.64259

Checking for DB type

DB is not bundled

Checking for DSN

VMware vCenter Server DSN: VirtualCenter

VMware vCenter DB Server name: (local)

VMware vCenter Server Host Name: HOSTNAME

VMware vCenter Server DB Name: VirtualCenterDB

VMware vCenter Server DB Driver: SQL Server

VMware vCenter Server is not using bundled DB

vCenter Server installation satisfies migration prerequisite

Could it be because the "DB is not bundled"? Anyway, I appreciate any help, I am trying to hammer this thing out today. Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Could it be because the "DB is not bundled"? Anyway, I appreciate any help, I am trying to hammer this thing out today. Thanks Smiley Happy

yes, error is present in your logs

Only SQL Server Express is supported for DB backup

backup Skipping DB backup...

0 Kudos
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

But I have Express installed.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

The DB backup is the SQL Express bundled in with the vCenter install? You are installing vCenter 4.1 onto a 64bit OS, correct? As for migrating your DB instance to 4.1, it may be easier to follow the below KB article

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1021635

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell - Fixed broken link

0 Kudos
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

My vcenter 2.5 U5 DB is SQL Server 2005 Express SP3, yes. I installed it myself just today.

Yes the destination OS is 64 bit, server 2008 R2.

That is exactly the KB I am following for my migration.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

ok... try the method below instead

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893

0 Kudos
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

Will this update my DataBase? I was pretty sure that part of the upgrade process was updating my database schema, I don't see where that will happen?

0 Kudos
joshp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The upgrade/migration is fairly easy when you break it down into individual components.

1. Shutdown the vCenter services (including all dependent services--web services).

2. Use either SQL Management Studio or command line and backup your vCenter database.

3. Restore the database to its destination (whatever SQL version you intend to use). Confirm the rollup script jobs are present. If not, the SQL scripts to create the rollup jobs can be found on the VMware KB.

4. Create the necessary 64bit DSN for vCenter (and 32bit DSN for Update Manager if applicable).

5. Start the vCenter 4.1 installation. During the installation the database schema will be updated.

Now, if you intend to use the data migration tool to migrate custom certs and other vCenter settings--you need to run the backup.bat part of the data migration process between steps 2 and 3 above. And if you use the data migration tool, just run the install.bat command at step 5 instead of running the installer directly.

VCP 3, 4

www.vstable.com

VCP 3, 4 www.vstable.com
0 Kudos
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

Just my luck.... Can't add the jobs if you use SQL 2005 Express... This is getting really old. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

yes, no rollup jobs in SQL Express. Don't know how far you got, or are getting, but you may try starting with a blank DB. If you still have the old vCenter instance online, you can also try the below method to get your information exported and imported

http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2010/01/vcenter-powercli-migration-script.html

0 Kudos
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

I tried it anyway, but with no realy luck. I was able to finish the installer this time, but services don't start, they claim corrupted/lost files. I will try your new link. Thanks for staying with me all this time guys. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I should just go download a trial version of sql 2005 standard? What do you think?

I don't actually have any licenses for 2005, but I do have 1 for 2008 R2.

So my thinking is upgrade from express to standard trial, migrate, then if successfully on vcenter 4.1, upgrade to licensed version of 2008 r2.

Does that sound reasonable?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

SQL Server R2 isn't supported as a backend DB for vCenter.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

I'm not saying it won't work, but just not compatible. Also, is there really any reason, why you can't just start from scratch, even if using Express?

I would build a new 4.1 vCenter, give it a different name and IP address, then disconnect and remove host(s) from the old environment into the new. None of the guests will be affected by the disconnect, remove and add host.

0 Kudos
MightyMax1
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I didn't know that was an option. I am not extremely experienced with vCenter.

What is it that the DataBase contains? Is it simply preformance data? I guess if there isn't anything critical and my hosts won't be affected, then that should be a very reasonable thing to do. I appreciate the tip.

0 Kudos