VMware Cloud Community
saniltison
Contributor
Contributor

vCENTER SERVER 5.5 installation fail

i have been researching for days now trying to solve this problem i have when i am installing vcenter on a server 2008 r2 machine

i am getting the following error when it is trying to start the services:

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone — Error 1920

Service VMware vCenter Converter Server (vmware-converter-server) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

here are the configuration for my setup:

_i have 2 E3SXI servers running on virtual machine on a physical host

_one of the esxi server has 2 virtual machine; 1 server 2008 r2 which is my AD and the other is a server 2008 r2 on which i am trying to install vcenter.

_the vcenter server is on the domain of the AD server "vcenter.geek.com"

_not sure if i need to setup a dns server but currently i do not have one

_i have the evolution version of vcenter 5.5 that i downloaded from vmware.com

i have also searched on this community and have tried all of the solution that i have come across and nothing has worked.

can someone tell me their current setup so i can compare it to mine so i can make the appropriate changes to have my vcenter up and operational

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

basically the Windows system on which you are going to install vCenter Server needs to be resolvable via DNS (Forward as well as Reverse-DNS). Anyway, the error message you posted is related to vCenter Converter, but not to vCenter Server!? Can you please clarify what and how exactly you are installing, and what's already installed on the Windows VM?

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please try to create a group called "Domain Admins" in the active directory. Installer looks for the group when starting the service. If the group is not there in the active directory you will get this error.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
kazerizalsama
Contributor
Contributor

same error message when installing vCenter Server 5.5

it seem the vCenter server cannot be installed in workgroup environment right? :smileyplain:

-------------------- I'm not IT guy
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No, VC can be installed with work group as well. There seems to be something wrong with your machine. Can you use a fresh windows and try to install the VC?

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
kazerizalsama
Contributor
Contributor

i did start with new fresh machine but the error still same.

error.png

vcenter version : VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-2105955-20140901-update02

OS version : Server 2012 R2 Standard in Workgroup environment

-------------------- I'm not IT guy
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using administrator account? If not try with that.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

It sounds like the account used doesn't have rights to active directory.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos