VMware Cloud Community
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

upgrade vc 2.5 on a 32 bit server to vc 4.1 on a 64 bit server

Could someone please help me with the best way to upgrade with my setup? I have VCentre 2.5 running on a 32 bit Windows box. I’m wishing to upgrade to VCentre 4.1 but realise that I need to upgrade to a 64 bit platform to do so. I am going to build a new VCentre install on a Windows 2008R2 server.

Is it OK to build a new 4.1 VC install on a 64 bit server and create a 64 bit DSN to connect to the original VC database which will not be touched during the upgrade or do I need to upgrade the database to run VC 4.1?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Is it OK to build a new 4.1 VC install on a 64 bit server and create a 64 bit DSN to connect to the original VC database which will not be touched during the upgrade or do I need to upgrade the database to run VC 4.1?

The install of vCenter 4.1 will have an upgrade to the DB schema, so during the install when you choose to use an existing DB, that is when the upgrade will happen.

Also, if you are starting off on a new new Host OS, and installing vCenter 4.1, you will have to copy the SSL directory out of your old 2.5 instance.

Also, make sure you have a good backup of your DB before you start.

0 Kudos