VMware Cloud Community
moodle999
Contributor
Contributor

update manager not talking to esxi hosts

Hi all, we have vcenter server installed in our network, and our esxi hosts are sitting behind a fw with NAT in a different network. We have also installed on the same box as vcenter server, the update manager server.

How can we change the setting "update manager patch store used by esx and esxi hosts" dropdown, under the configuration tab in update manager??

If i press the dropdown button, we of course get the name of the vcentre server, and its ip address in decimal.

However, what i really want to enter here is the ip address of the fw as this is where the requests need to be sent to from the esxi hosts.

I cant see anywhere to add an ip address so it can be selected from the pulldown. You cant just type it in where the pulldown is.

I know this is the problem, because if i check the logs in the esxi host, i can see its trying to connect to the IP address of the vcentre server that is selected in the dropdown, but of course it cant ever get to it becaise it is in a different network.

Why cant i add a new ip address in the dropdown area, or can i add it somewhere else so it them appears in the dropdown slections?

Thanks..!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
moodle999
Contributor
Contributor

does anyone from vmware actually read any of this stuff??? or am i wasting my time.....

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You will need to do this from the vCenter plug-in. Log on to vCenter and click on the Update Manager icon from the Home page, then select the Configuration tab and enter the desired settings. If this doesn't work for you, you could also redirect the port used by vCenter update manager to go to the firewall.

Hope this helps.

A+, DCSE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, MCDBA, NCDA, VCP4

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

moodle999
Contributor
Contributor

This IS the problem, you can't type a value in, you can only 'pull down' the options set 'somewhere'

vmware makes this simple stuff so painful to do...

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This setting is located in the vci-integrity.xml which is usually located at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Data\</patchStore>.

This may help..

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful.

0 Kudos
moodle999
Contributor
Contributor

The patchstore tag in that xml file is not an IP address or hostname, but a location within the vcenter server filesystem..

ie

<patchstore>C:\documents and settings.....bla..bla...vmware\vmware update manager\data\</patchstore>

So how does this refer to the available hostnames on the configuration tab of update manager?

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I see what you mean now. I tried a few things to do this, and you are right it is a pain. When I changed a setting in the reg it removed the vCenter from the config tab but it didn't add the entry I stated. My guess is that perhaps an xml record needs modified as well. I found this but I'm not sure if it works, I didn't try it. 0 123666199

Have you tried setting the shared repository under configuration>Patch download settings?

0 Kudos