VMware Cloud Community
Tooms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

update manager need 50gb/year for just host updates ???? why

update manager need 50gb/year for just host updates !!!!!!!

Why does the update download all updates and not only the ones there is need ?

so if you install the update manager on the VC and will have updates for both hosts and VM's, then you need around 192gb for 3 year updates..

Does the update manager clean out in updates that it don't need any more or will the update store just grow with no end.. ??

Thomas Bøjstrup Johansen Any comment or statements is my own and have no relationship to my workplace
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ian4563
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Where did you read that? In my installation update manager only downloads the patches that are needed when I remediate an entity. I have ~200 vm's and so far the repository is only 305MB.

0 Kudos
Tooms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This PDF

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10_admin_guide.pdf

from page 13

The amount of space required to store the updates on the server on which the Download Service

is installed varies based on the number of different operating systems and applications you will

be patching and the number of years you will be gathering patches on this system. Expect to

need 50 gigabytes (GB) for each year of ESX Server patching and 11GB for each virtual machine

operating system and locale combination. For example, to use the server for two years to patch

hosts Windows XP US English and Windows Server 2003 requires 100GB for the hosts and

22GB for the virtual machines for a total of 122GB. Therefore, to install in such an environment,

install it to a server with at least 122GB of available space for patch storage.

Thomas Bøjstrup Johansen Any comment or statements is my own and have no relationship to my workplace
0 Kudos