VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

update manager and Virtual Center database setup = 1 database or the same database??

We have a small VMware environment -- 2-3 hosts, only 5-6 VMs for now, maybe up to 10-12 during 2009.

I've looked at the VUM and VC sizing spreadsheets and it appears that I can make VC and VUM work from SQL Express 2005 for the next 1-3 years, I have to allow for patch etc. storage and know that I may need to upgrade.

Do the VC and VUM installations create their own separate databases or are they combined into 1 database??

Or would I be better off buying 1 SQL Standard license with the 10 CALs instead?? (I know this would scale easily.)

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are letting the VC and VUM installers create the databases on the SQL 2005 Express instance (named SQLEXP_VIM), it will create separate databases for each (VIM_VCDB for vCenter, and VIM_UMDB for Update Manager). It is possible to have both of them use the same database, though you'd have to specify the database and ODBC settings to the installer.

Hope that helps! Please help me out by marking my response as "helpful" or "correct" if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can share the DB instance will your VCMS instance. From my understanding all VUM does is create new tables within the existing DB. You might want to read through the adim guide, just in case I understand it wrong.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10_admin_guide.pdf

hope this helps

apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are letting the VC and VUM installers create the databases on the SQL 2005 Express instance (named SQLEXP_VIM), it will create separate databases for each (VIM_VCDB for vCenter, and VIM_UMDB for Update Manager). It is possible to have both of them use the same database, though you'd have to specify the database and ODBC settings to the installer.

Hope that helps! Please help me out by marking my response as "helpful" or "correct" if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The install guide says that SQL Express is intended for less than 5 hosts and/or 50 VMs. If you don't plan on growing any more than you mentioned, I would leave it as is.

You can use either the same database that you use for VirtualCenter, or you can use another database for VUM.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com