VMware Cloud Community
Mr-Mistery
Contributor
Contributor

timed out Vmotion

I have proble doing Vmotion. It is timing out so I guess network issue,

If I have a dedicated switch. and all my ESX host connected to this for Vmotion do I need a gateway?

I have ESX 1: Vmotion, IP is 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway is 192.168.1.1

I have ESX 2: Vmotion IP is 192.169.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway is 192.168.1.2

But no luck, I remove the gateway same problem..

I tried vmkping, timed out 100% loss..

any idea?

nuthin
0 Kudos
3 Replies
outbacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why did you set your vmotion nic on host 1 to the same IP as the gateway? Shouldn't it be .2 and the other .3 or was that a typo?

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

Your Vmotion nics should be on the same VLAN. Put them on the same VLAN, conifgure them with IP addresses on the same subnet and you should be good to go. No gateway would be needed.

0 Kudos
Sorwyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also, Vmotion and similar features are very sensitive to DNS and FQDN.

Make sure that:

1) If possible names are all lower case

2) include the FQDN for the server name and make sure when you added it to VC that it matches eg. vmhost1.vmware.com is the server name and when you added it to VC make sure it's EXACTLY the same

3) make sure all the servers can resolve each other by their FQDN. I tend to atcually hardset it in the hosts file on every server to be sure (vi /etc/hosts to edit it, the IP is the service console IP for the FQDN not the vmotion IP.

Other than that no the gateways don't matter if they're on the same switch, although make the gateway something other than your IP or remove it entirely.

0 Kudos