the input arguments had entities that did not belong to the same datacenter

When trying to move a vm between datacenters i am getting this message:

the input arguments had entities that did not belong to the same datacenter

Tomas

5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you trying to vmotion? You still can not vmotion btween datacenters. You can cold migrate with the VM powered off

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
TomasNL
Contributor
Contributor

The cold migrate is working. I removed it from the inventory en then added it in the other datacenter. That worked fine for me.

Did you mean you never can vmotion between datcenters?

0 Kudos
hegdec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have tried with the VM migration across vCenters  for several Virtual machines which were successful. But, for certain VM's we face the same error which is discussed here.

We tried to do VM migration across vcenter  through perl script which helps us in cross vcenter migration when vcenters are in different SSO domain where all necessary arguments were specified like target vCenter,host ,network and datastore .

ERROR: The input arguments had entities that did not belong to the same datacenter.

This error looks to be misleading as the entities specified were definitely belonging to the same datacenter.

Any guess where the error could be ?

0 Kudos
hegdec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

One of my colleague was able to figure out the issue.It wasn’t able to locate the datastore ISO at destination side. We are supposed to mark CD/DVD drive as ‘Client Device’ to make sure it doesn’t try to map it.

Thanks,

Chandan

Bird_Man
Contributor
Contributor

This post lead me to remember that I had an ISO mounted as CD drive so setting it back to 'Client Device' as stated allowed me to Migrate the VM to another datacenter.

Thanks!

0 Kudos