VMware Cloud Community
Natsidan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sysprep with VC 2.5

Has anyone managed to get sysprep working with VC 2.5? We had it working under the previous version 2.02. When we try to deploy from template we get the error that customization is not installed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
polysulfide
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Customizations work in evaluation mode.

To get the correct files for each specific version of windows:

Acquire the install disk for that version of windows

go to \SUPPORT\TOOLS\Deploy.cab

Copy the files from inside deploy.cab to the corresponding windows folder in c:\Documents and settings\........\sysprep\ folder

I don't think you need to restart the virtual center server service but it couldn't hurt. Also make sure your permissions aren't so restrictive that the CV server service account can't access them.

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/polysulfide

VI From Concept to Implementation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
polysulfide
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you follow the same steps that you followed to install sysprep on your 2.02 server?

There are folders in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Virtual Center\sysprep that need to be populated with the correct version of sysprep for each distribution of Windows.

0 Kudos
Jbmazzola
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm also trying to do this atm. Problem is, i can't find the right directory to put it in?

I can't seem to find the resources/windows/sysprep/1.1 folder on my windows 2003 server file system??

i did try extracting the "Q257813_W2K_spl_X86_EN" file to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Virtual Center\sysprep.

I haven't had any luck with this though... hmmm

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

with version 2.5 the requirement has changed, it is in the documentation, but essentially you need to have the correct sysprep files in the correct directories. so instead of extracting to the 1.1 directory you need the w2k3 sysperp filess in the 2003 folder, XP sysprep in the XP folder and 2000 in the 2000 folder.

0 Kudos
Jbmazzola
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thanks, I have tried tried that but with no success. I may have the wrong sysprep files... I'll try and find another version.

Also i'm also running the evaluation mode. Would this prevent it from working?

0 Kudos
polysulfide
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Customizations work in evaluation mode.

To get the correct files for each specific version of windows:

Acquire the install disk for that version of windows

go to \SUPPORT\TOOLS\Deploy.cab

Copy the files from inside deploy.cab to the corresponding windows folder in c:\Documents and settings\........\sysprep\ folder

I don't think you need to restart the virtual center server service but it couldn't hurt. Also make sure your permissions aren't so restrictive that the CV server service account can't access them.

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/polysulfide

VI From Concept to Implementation

0 Kudos
mikef123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can download KB926028 at http:
www.microsoft.com or use the one I posted. Run the .exe with the /x switch. Install it in the 2003 folder under c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\vmware\vmware virtualcenter\sysprep\srv2003

0 Kudos
ascheale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue with VC 2.5 and XP.

I downloaded from Microsoft directly and extracted all files to C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\xp

Restarted the VCS Services but can t get it working.

Please help

0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am having the issue with XP and VC 2.5, the customization does not work with XP, windows 2003 works fine

I would appreciate some feed back to help resolving this issue

Thanks

0 Kudos
K-MaC
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

IRQ2006: Do you have any anti virus software installed on the XP template that you are trying to customize? I had no end of trouble trying to get customization working when the template had virus software installed on it. I tried disabling the antivirus software and still had issues. I had to remove it from my system. Give it a shot. Hope this fixes your issue.

Cheers

Kevin

Cheers Kevin
0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Kevin, I just spoken to VMWare support and it appeared that my ESX hosts received the Update 1 as part of applying other critical updates ( even I excluded the update 1 from my baseline) they adviced me to apply update 1 on VC.

It is misleading how VMWare update manager allow you to choose excluding update1 but it get applied anyway by another critical update.

With regard to the Antivirus, I used the same VM to create the template on ESX 2.5 VC 1.3 with no Issues the issue started on VC 2.5 ... I will keep it in mind if Update 1 didn't fix the issue ...

Cheers

0 Kudos