VMware Cloud Community
Kevin_kirk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

/storage/log full points to vmafdd.log being 3.7GB

Hello,

I'm relatively new to this so please bare with me. 🙂

I've traversed the /storage/log (Tried KB article 83070)but it seems to be pointing to vmafdd.log being 3.7GB.

-rw-r-----  1 root root 3.7G Jun  3 13:51 vmafdd.log

Full disk is 9.8GB. Everything else seems at normal.

So my question is, why is it not purging? What can I do about this?

I've attached a screenshot of the tail of the log. It seems to be looking for certs constantly? 

Thanks for the help!

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 2.02.12 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_kirk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cleared the log file, and I'll see how it goes. Most information doesn't mean much to me when looking it up and it's always creating new data. Please give more insight if you have any.

Much appreciated for anyone taking the time to think about my problem. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Kevin_kirk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cleared the log file, and I'll see how it goes. Most information doesn't mean much to me when looking it up and it's always creating new data. Please give more insight if you have any.

Much appreciated for anyone taking the time to think about my problem. 

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Presumably this is for the vCenter Server Appliance?

It is impossible to tell given that you posted the thread in an area which covers SDKs rather than problems with products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Kevin_kirk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for attempting to find the correct spot as I am new. Everything seems good to go. 

Mark as resolved. 

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

@Kevin_kirk From image ; your path for vmafdd.log is /var/log/vmware/vmafd which is not right. May be you have a wrong registry .
Actual vmafdd.log should go to /var/log/vmware/vmafdd/vmafdd.log

Check the output of below command :
/opt/likewise/bin/lwregshell list_values "[HKEY_THIS_MACHINE\Services\vmafd\Parameters]"

If the last line of the above command shows "/var/log/vmware/vmafdd/vmafdd.log" then you do not have the issue anymore. If it shows "/var/log/vmware/vmafd/vmafdd.log" then follow the below steps to actually resolve it.

Snapshot the vCenter
Update the registry to match the log rotate configuration path
/opt/likewise/bin/lwregshell set_value "[HKEY_THIS_MACHINE\Services\vmafd\Parameters]" "LogFile" "/var/log/vmware/vmafdd/vmafdd.log"

Restart the vCenter services
service-control --stop --all && service-control --start --all

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
HostaHost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks; had same issue on an appliance that was deployed as 7.x, noticed after updating to the latest 7.0.3.  Seems like this should be checked/address as part of the updates?

0 Kudos
eric_silberberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

These steps are now n https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/83238

0 Kudos