VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

/storage/core out of space

VCSA version: 7.0.0.10400

I can see lots of files named core.in:imfile.xxxx (around 300MB each) but not sure what caused these files to be generated.

They almost all seem to been logged on the same 2 days in January (7th and 8th).

Anyone knows why these are filling the core partition and if the same files can be deleted? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The core files can be deleted. Except last 2 delete the rest. Can you share the last dump file(zip it and attach) or upload to a ftp site or drive

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The core files can be deleted. Except last 2 delete the rest. Can you share the last dump file(zip it and attach) or upload to a ftp site or drive

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Perfect. Share the SR once u have log bundle uploaded . 

Regards,
AJ
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

rsyslog is dumping them.   Remove the syslog configuration for time being and check if core dumps are  generating

Regards,
AJ
notfaded1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem.  The kb article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81327 says upgrade to 7U1 or later.  I'm on 7U1 now and my /storage/core is constantly filling up.  I've applied the workaround and I'm still getting big core.in:imfile.##### files growing inside the /storage/core directory.  I'm about to put a cron job in to just delete core.in:imfile.##### files regularly.  I'm almost afraid to try upgrading to 7U2a since 7U1 didn't seem to make any difference?

Bill

0 Kudos
notfaded1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My /storage/core was filling up in just over 20 minutes.  I created a cron job to delete the core files every 10 minutes and at least my VCSA 7U1 now shows health good and green again.  I'm preparing to try VCSA7U2b and made a backup through vCenter Server Management.  I sure hope this makes things better... not worse.

Bill

0 Kudos
SShashiNZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is a workaround from support - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81327

This fixed our issue of filling up /storage/core

notfaded1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update my cron job deleting the files has been working since put in place but I'll look at this as well if it can also prevent needing to delete with cron.

0 Kudos