VMware Cloud Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

some questions about update manager

1) can i change the location for storing patches after installation, maybe a dedicated driver other than C: is prefered

2) when will the patched downloaded?

after installation, no baseline configured, no baseline configured to host or VM, i noticed that the no VM patches are downloaded , but the host patches is downloaded automatically when installation completed. so i think the VM patches are downloaded as needed, is that true? can i control this behavior?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can change the path for datastore, check the vci-integrity.xml file and modify the patchStore location to where you want it.

Patches are updated from a scheduled task. Check your scheduled tasks button, and modify according to your schedule preference.

By default, only host patches are downloaded, but you can change that by modifying the download task.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

1) can i change the location for storing patches after installation, maybe a dedicated driver other than C: is prefered

Download path - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004152

2) when will the patched downloaded?

Go to plugins - Update Manager - Schedule Update Download. By default only ESX updates are downloaded. For more info see page 15 of this guide http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vum_10_admin_guide.pdf.

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

in my pre-configured patch download task, both windows and ESX are all checked, but i noticed that the windows patch are download when needed(remediate).

there's a predefined schedule task, in fact, you can't define a customized download task. but there's no detail definition about downloading patches. i think there should be a baseline for downloading patches, for example, for ESX, download from 2007-01-01, or from version 3.0.0? can i see the baseline?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Update Managdoes not support ESX version 3.0.x. You can edit the baselines by using the Update Manager button, to see this you have to have the Update Manager plugin enabled.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos